A creamy warm coconut curry butternut squash soup is just what you need on a cold winter day! This butternut squash soup is whole-food-plant-based. It is dairy-free and oil-free. You’ll get all the flavor with this healthy vegan butternut squash soup without missing any of the added oil or dairy.
For this recipe, we roast our butternut squash and make a puree. Don’t let that scare you though. Follow my tips and directions and you’ll soon be sipping on warm, creamy, and flavorful soup!
For more delicious plant-based soups try:
For some other delicious vegan soups, stews, and chowders – click here. These are some of my favorites:
Roasted Butternut Squash Soup with Rosemary and Thyme
Read this post for some more easy vegan canned food recipes!
For this coconut curry butternut squash soup recipe you will need:
- Two whole butternut squash,
- a yellow onion, two carrots, and a granny smith apple
- one can of lite coconut milk,
- vegetable broth,
- curry, cumin, cayenne, and a little salt and pepper.
- You will also use your microwave oven to speed up the roasting process, as well as a blender and mixer.
- I use a non-stick stainless steel medium/large cooking pot.
Butternut Squash Soup is Calling to Me!
It has been seriously cold in Southern California this year (cue the hate mail from the midwest lol). But really nothing is worse on a cold day than cold inhospitable food. One afternoon, sitting by my fire, I realized that I had a couple of butternut squash in my fridge and that they had been sitting there for…um…almost too long!
I dislike wasting food and so started to work on a creative way to use them. They had probably been sitting in my fridge for a good long time because I hate peeling and cubing butternut squash! Does anyone really enjoy this? Luckily I had the other necessary ingredients on-hand and my creamy flavorful butternut squash soup was born! Yay!
Looking for a fun “adult” way to use coconut cream? Try my recipe for Boozy Vegan Shamrock Shakes! Seasonal, but fun:)
Tips and Tricks for Making the Perfect Coconut Curry Butternut Squash Soup:
- Follow all directions for success!
- Cut down on roasting time by microwaving the butternut squash first for 10 minutes. Then let it sit for another 10 minutes. Cut off the stem end then cut in half. I scoop out seeds at this point before roasting.
- Put all four halves in a baking pan lined with an inch of water on the bottom. Cover tightly with foil and cook at 380° for about 30-40 minutes or until it’s soft inside.
- Once the cooked squash is cool enough to handle, it’s easy to peel and/or scoop out the insides.
- You’ll need about six cups of squash loosely packed. It will blend down to about four cups.
- I make a puree with the squash and coconut milk in my blender. Use a hand mixer if that is what you have.
- Use canned lite coconut milk. The full-fat coconut milk is almost too creamy and I prefer to leave the extra fat and calories behind.
- While the squash is cooking, you can sauté the onions, apple, and carrots till quite softened. I do not use oil in the recipe to sauté.
- Line the soup pan with about a cup of vegetable broth. Watch the pan carefully to make sure the broth doesn’t dry out and the ingredients don’t stick.
- I don’t find it necessary to peel my carrots as long as there aren’t any strange spots that need to be cut or peeled away. I just thoroughly wash and scrub the carrots.
- Do not peel the apple. Dice the onion, carrots and apple.
- Add the seasonings as you are sautéing.
- After you add in the coconut butternut squash puree, add in about a cup of broth to make it as thin as you would like.
- I use a hand blender to further blend in the onions and apples. I’m okay with a few chunks – it adds to the dimension and texture to the soup. Salt and pepper and that’s it!
Some Items I Found Helpful in Making the Coconut Curry Butternut Squash Soup Recipe:
*Affiliate Links* I am an Amazon Affiliate. This means that clicking on and purchasing through one of these links might earn Veggie Fun Kitchen compensation at no additional cost to you.
Coconut Curry Butternut Squash Recipe:
Make this recipe for a comforting creamy delicious soup on a cold winter day. It’s also great for meal prep. Add in some croutons or serve with a nice crusty warm bread. Yum!
The Recipe for Coconut Curry Butternut Squash Soup:
Did you make this recipe? Want to share the love? It would thrill me if you could leave a comment and stars ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ! Plus, when you leave a great rating it helps other people who are searching for this type of recipe more easily find it. Thanks so much! Cindy 💜
Coconut Curry Butternut Squash Soup
- 2 butternut squash
- 2 cups vegetable broth divided - add more if necessary
- 1 yellow onion
- 1 Granny Smith apple no need to peel
- 2 carrots no need to peel
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder use more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper use less to taste
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 13.5 ounce can lite coconut milk
- salt and pepper to taste
- Wash and microwave the butternut squashes for ten minutes. Let sit 10 minutes till just cool enough to handle.
- Cut the stem ends off and cut in half. Scoop out the seeds.
- Place all four halves in a large baking dish. Pour about an inch of water in the bottom and cover tightly with foil. Cook at 380° for about 30-40 minutes or until soft. Since this was precooked in the microwave and microwave times do vary, your cooking time in the oven might also vary. Make sure it is soft enough to scoop. Let sit to cool.
- While the butternut squash is cooking and cooling, dice the onion, carrots, and apple. There is no need to peel the carrots or apples.
- Line the medium-sized soup pan with about 1 cup of vegetable broth. Sauté the onion, carrots, and apple until softened. About 7 minutes. Watch your pan so that the broth does not dry up and ingredients stick.
- Add in the curry powder, cumin, cayenne, and salt with the vegetable/apple mixture is sautéing. I love curry and 1/2 teaspoon is not enough for me. I have found though, that not everyone agrees. So start with 1/2 teaspoon and add more at the end for your personal taste.
- After the vegetables/apple have softened. Turn off heat and set aside while you make the butternut squash puree.
- Scoop out about 6 cups, of cooked butternut squash, loosely packed. Add to blender and then pour lite coconut milk on top. Blend until well pureed.
- Add to veggie mixture in the pan. Add in another cup of broth. Depending on how much moisture was in the butternut squash, you might want to add in more or less.
- Heat through. Using a hand mixture, blend until most of the chunk are gone. It's okay to leave a few though and adds to a more interesting soup texture. If you do not have a hand blender, then use a traditional blender and process/blend in batches.
- Add in salt and pepper to taste. Top with croutons or serve with warm bread if desired.
2 thoughts on “Coconut Curry Butternut Squash Soup”
This recipe is the best curry squash soup I have ever tasted! 5 Stars!!
I am so thrilled to hear this! Thanks for letting me know. Cindy 💜