This boozy vegan version of the Shamrock Shake is for grown-ups only. Make it with dairy-free coconut ice cream or other vegan vanilla ice cream of choice, along with three varieties of alcohol – including creme-de-menthe – for a minty, creamy, boozy green shake.
Make these Shamrock Shakes with vegan ice cream and coconut milk for a yummy treat. Adding in creme de menthe and peppermint gives these shakes a super refreshing minty taste! The other alcohol used makes these shakes pretty potent. They will go down smoothly but pack a punch!
Coconut milk is the perfect substitution for dairy milk and dairy heavy cream when you are trying to make a favorite recipe vegan!
It’s easy to make creamy vegan beverages when you use coconut milk and coconut cream. The BEST vegan eggnog I’ve ever tasted gets its smooth creamy texture from coconut milk! And hot chocolate is made richer when using coconut cream.
Are shamrock shakes made with alcohol?
Well, the type of shakes you buy at a fast food drive-through definitely are not made with alcohol! But I asked myself the question: Is there any reason we can’t have a more grown-up shamrock shake?
Yes, we can! Why should kids have all of the fun? But first things first – This is indeed an adult beverage. This recipe makes two servings and is meant to share. Each shake has four ounces of alcohol which are equal to two shots.
You won’t know it going down, but the alcohol is definitely there! You need to be a responsible drinker and know beforehand what you are consuming. Don’t drink and drive. Think for yourself. And finally, make good choices. Really. And this is the mom in me coming out. I won’t apologize.
Looking for fun adult beverages for a different season?
Try Harry Potter Pumpkin Juice which is perfect for fall! Make the recipe as is for the kiddies – but feel free to add in some of the adult beverage suggestions it that is how you roll…
To make this recipe for Boozy Vegan Shamrock Shake, you will need:
- one pint of your favorite vegan vanilla ice cream (For my recipe I used coconut milk vanilla bean.)
- one can lite coconut milk, frozen into cubes
- Irish whiskey
- vanilla extract
- peppermint flavoring/food-grade peppermint oil
How to make the Best Boozy Vegan Shamrock Shakes
The exact ingredients with measurements can be found in the recipe card below along with more concise abbreviated instructions. Read on for more details, tips, and tricks so that you will feel confident making this recipe.
A few tips before we get started
- This is a vegan food blog and so the ingredients will be dairy-free including the ice cream and the coconut milk.
- If your eating ethics are vegan, please read refer to the Barnivore website for information about the particular brand of alcohol you will be using.
- The night before you want to make your shakes, freeze one 13.5 ounce can of lite coconut milk into small cubes. I like to use a silicone tray so that I can just pop the cubes out. (Affiliate link).
- If my vegan ice cream is too frozen to easily work with, I microwave for 10-20 seconds (checking after 10 seconds.) I then cut a slit down the side of the container and easily open the sides and pop the ice cream into my blender all at once.
- Most vegan ice cream comes in 1 pint containers anyway, so this recipe will call for 1 pint of vegan vanilla ice cream. This is 2 cups measurement.
- I used coconut milk ice cream for my recipe as well as lite coconut milk. You can not taste the coconut in the final product.
- If you prefer, you can use full-fat coconut milk. Your shake will be extra creamy and have extra fat and calories (and there are already plenty of those in this recipe!) I used lite coconut milk and it is plenty creamy and tastes great to me. Your choice.
- In addition to the creme de menthe used you will also need to use a peppermint extract or flavoring. (Amazon Affiliate link.)
- Add the peppermint flavoring, a few drops at a time to taste. I used 12 drops – or 1/8 teaspoon in mine. Add a few and do a little taste test. You can always add more.
- Use real vanilla extract.
Now the blending.
- Pour all other ingredients in your blender over the ice cream – except for the peppermint flavoring and the coconut milk ice cubes. (And green food coloring should you choose to add it.)
- I use a Vitamix high-speed blender for my shamrock shakes. I can’t guarantee the outcome using a regular blender. You might have to blend a little longer.
- After the ice cream/booze mixture has blended for a bit and is smooth, add in the coconut ice cubes a small handful at a time, and blend in.
- Add in the peppermint drops last and add to taste.
- You can also add in a few drops of green food coloring if you want your shakes to take on a deeper (fun) hue.
- Drink responsibly. These little shakes pack a mighty punch. One is enough and don’t drink and drive.
And now for the recipe!
Did you love this recipe?
Want to share the love? It would be great if you could leave five ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ stars and even a comment. Did you know that this will help Google to find this recipe when others are looking for something similar? Thanks, Cindy
Boozy Vegan Shamrock Shakes
- 13.5 ounces lite coconut milk frozen into cubes
- 1 pint vegan vanilla ice cream
- 2 ounces Irish whiskey
- 2 ounces vodka
- 4 ounces creme de menthe
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 12 drops peppermint extract/flavoring to taste
- a few drops green food coloring if desired
- Freeze the lite coconut milk in ice cube trays the night before.
- If necessary, microwave the vegan ice cream for 10-20 seconds or until slightly softened and easy to handle.
- Put the vegan ice cream all at once into the blender.
- Add the three alcohols and vanilla flavoring on top of the ice cream.
- Blend for a couple of minutes or until the mixture blends and softens. Add in the coconut milk ice cubes. Blend until smooth.
- Add in the peppermint extract a few drops at a time for taste.
- Add a few drops of green food coloring if desired to deepen the color.
- Pour into glasses and serve.