As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
You will not believe the incredibly authentic taste of this vegan eggnog! The secret ingredients are jello instant pudding and rum flavoring. Add a few other seasonings along with plant milk and you will be happily surprised at the rich and creamy flavor of this cashew-free, egg-free, and dairy-free eggnog!
My family has always been big on holiday traditions. Would you believe that one of our traditions is to toast the season with eggnog from a glass moose cup just like the Griswalds on National Lampoon’s Christmas vacation! I know – we’re weird…
So once we decided that dairy and eggs weren’t for us, I searched and searched for eggnog that would give us that same eggnog-out-of-the-carton taste and texture. Again…weird perhaps – but we like it!
Navigate this post:
For other delicious traditional holiday plant-based recipes try:
- Cranberry Bliss Bars
- Classic Breakfast Casserole – No Eggs
- Puff Pastry Apple Cranberry Strudel with Cashew Cream
Pin to save for later
Ingredients needed to make vegan eggnog
You will need:
- large instant vanilla jello pudding mix (Is it vegan? See below.)
- rum extract
- ground cloves
- ground cinnamon – also you can use cinnamon sticks for garnish
- 2 cans of lite coconut milk
- oat milk – I use extra creamy (you can use another plant milk of choice)
I really wanted smooth and creamy eggnog, just like I remembered. So I tried a few different cashew-based vegan eggnogs.
They were good…enough. But didn’t exactly meet my standards for flavor. Remember, I was looking for that carton eggnog flavor. Which I understand might not be everyone’s ideal…. But don’t judge it – try it! You won’t be sorry!
I then tried with various starches but the texture wasn’t right.
I even had a few silly failures. Here is a photo from one failed attempt with cashews and starch. Just so that you know that my food blogger’s kitchen isn’t always a perfect kitchen.
Luckily, a friend with egg allergies told me about a trick she used with Instant Vanilla Jello Pudding. It was a Christmas Eggnog miracle!
Is Instant Jello Pudding mix vegan?
Well…probably. The pudding mix does not contain diary or eggs. It is known as accidentally vegan in several vegan food circles.
I like to be honest about ingredients though so that everyone can meet their ethics. There is one questionable ingredient: mono- and diglycerides which may or may not be sourced from animal fats. They don’t say and we may never really know.
But for my level 50 and above vegans (and I say this with respect), you might want to find another recipe. For my plant-based eaters and other vegans, using instant vanilla pudding is the perfect mix-in for smooth and flavorful dairy-free and egg-free eggnog!
How to make vegan eggnog
It’s super easy!
Just combine all the ingredients except the oat milk into a blender. Blend for a few minutes until smooth.
You could certainly add the oat milk too, BUT there just isn’t a blender large enough!
After everything is blended smooth, pour into a 2 quart or larger pitcher and gradually stir in the plant milk.
Can I add alcohol?
Of course, you do you! I prefer to mix up the eggnog without alcohol first, and then let people add what they want. I prefer without, while others like bourbon and some choose rum. Just pour your glass, leaving room for your shot of choice.
This will serve eight and can keep in the fridge covered for a couple of days. Enjoy!
The recipe for vegan eggnog
Did you love this recipe? Want to share the love? It would thrill me if you could leave five ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ stars and even a comment. Did you know that this will help google to find this recipe when others are looking for something similar? Thanks, Cindy
The Best Tasting Vegan Eggnog
- 5.1 ounces instant vanilla jello pudding mix
- 2/3 cup granualted sugar
- 2 teaspoons rum extract
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 13.5 ounces canned lite coconut milk
- 4 cups oat milk or plant milk of choice
- cinnamon sticks for garnish optional
- nutmeg sprinkled on top for garnish optional
- In a large blender, add the instant jello pudding mix, sugar, rum extract, ground nutmeg, ground cloves, ground cinnamon, and both cans of lite coconut milk. Blend together for a few minutes or until smooth.
- Pour the blended ingredinets into a 2 qt or larger container. Gradually stir in the oat milk unitll well blended.
- Pour into individual glasses or mugs. Garnish with cinnmon sticks or spinkles of ground nutmeg. Stir in a shop of bourbon or rum if desired.