As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Rich, creamy, and chocolaty smooth, this homemade vegan chocolate liqueur is made with coconut milk instead of heavy cream. It mixes well to make the most delicious adult beverages!
It seems like it should be a simple thing to just mix up a special chocolatey dessert drink. I was surprised to find that a lot of chocolate liqueurs used for mixing contained dairy!
My friend told me that she made her own chocolate liqueur with heavy cream and suggested I make mine with a non-dairy version of heavy cream. Well! Why didn’t I think of that? It’s really not hard to make your own vegan chocolate liqueur.
Table of contents
- Pin now to save for later!
- Ingredients needed to make dairy-free chocolate liqueur:
- How to make homemade chocolate liqueur:
- A fews FAQ’s
- What can I do with my vegan chocolate liqueur?
- And now for the printable recipe:
Pin now to save for later!
Ingredients needed to make dairy-free chocolate liqueur:
You will need:
- unsweetened cocoa powder
- sugar – I use organic
- 1 can of full-fat coconut milk
- vodka- if you are vegan then check on Barnivore.com for a vegan brand.
How to make homemade chocolate liqueur:
Start by whisking the sugar and cocoa powder. The cocoa powder might be quite lumpy. It’s best to whisk out as many of these lumps as possible before you get started.
Next, pour in the coconut milk and mix well as you are heating. This coconut milk is full fat and nice and thick. You can save calories if you want by using lite coconut milk. The flavor will be the same but it might be a little less creamy.
Let it come to a gentle boil and let boil for about three minutes. I stir while it’s boiling to prevent a hard boil.
Turn off the heat and stir in the vodka. You don’t want to boil the vodka at all. This is an alcoholic adult beverage/mixer after all and you don’t want to cook out the alcohol.
Put in sealable container – one quart will be large enough. Keep the the fridge till ready to use.
A fews FAQ’s
Are all of the ingredients vegan?
To make sure this recipe is 100% vegan chocolate liqueur, use organic sugar or sugar marked as vegan. Read more on PETA which also shares an interring perspective.
Check your brand of vodka on Barnivore.com.
And then yes, you should be good!
How long will this homemade chocolate liqueur keep in the fridge?
Keep it in a tightly sealed container and it should keep for a while. Mine has been in the fridge for about 3 weeks now and it was fine to use today.
If you have children at home, please keep it out of reach or mark it so that they do not use it.
What can I do with my vegan chocolate liqueur?
Well I’ve been having some fun experimenting! So far I have made:
- creamy chocolate martini
- chocolate peppermint martini
- grown-up chocolate milk – just mix a shot with your favorite plant milk
- jazzed up weekend coffee – yep!
And now for the printable recipe:
Did you love this recipe? Want to share the love? It would thrill me if you could leave ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ stars and even a comment. Did you know that this will help google to find this recipe when others are looking for something similar? Thanks, Cindy
Homemade Vegan Chocolate Liqueur
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1½ cups sugar
- 13.5 ounce can coconut milk full fat
- 1 cup vodka
- Mix together the unsweetened cocoa powder and sugar, removing as many lumps as possible.
- Add the mixed cocoa powder and sugar along with the coconut milk to a medium-sized sauce pan. Mix well.
- Bring to a gentle boil on medium heat and allow to gently boil for 3 minutes. Stir while boiling to avoid a hard boil.
- Remove from heat and stir in the vodka.
- Pour into a quart-sized sealable container and store in the refridgerator till needed.