Rich and creamy, this easy microwave chocolate dipping sauce is dairy-free and made with coconut cream and oil, vegan chocolate chips, and a hint of cinnamon. It is perfect for dipping fresh fruit, cookies, or sweet bread.
I recently went to a little soiree at which the hostess was telling me about their chocolate fountain gathering dust on a garage shelf – because who wants to do a chocolate fountain with all the germs and everything anymore. Am I right?
It wouldn’t have mattered to me anyway because it’s highly unlikely any chocolate coming out of a fountain would be vegan-compliant. But it got me thinking…and craving! Because rich and velvety smooth chocolate sauce for dipping is the ultimate indulgence. Am I also right?
Now, I don’t know how this dairy-free chocolate sauce would hold up in a chocolate fountain, but this great recipe is a chocolate sauce fantasy and perfect for dipping with a big bowl of strawberries on the side…or apples…or cake. Right again?
Reasons you’ll love this vegan chocolate dipping sauce
- rich and creamy
- chocolatey without being overly sweet
- low prep time with just a few ingredients and in the microwave!
- somewhat healthy vegan chocolate sauce with no added sugar except from the dairy-free chips
- perfect for Valentine’s Day – or any other special occasion when you just want to indulge yourself!
- makes the best cold vegan chocolate syrup OR warmed for hot chocolate sauce
- great dipping sauce for strawberries, apples, pretzels, cake, or topped with raspberries
Valentine’s Day treats!
This chocolate dipping sauce would make a yummy valentine’s treat! You might also make these flavorful raspberry coconut truffles or vegan peanut butter rice krispy scotcharoos for your valentine!
Ingredients needed to make a vegan chocolate sauce for dipping
- vegan chocolate chips
- coconut cream (full fat – two cans)
- non-dairy milk – I used creamy oat milk
- refined coconut oil
- vanilla extract
- ground cinnamon
How to make vegan chcocolate sauce for dipping
This is so ridiculously easy! Just follow these few simple instructions and you’ll be indulging in vegan chocolate sauce before you know it!
Step 1: Skim the coconut cream
Skim the top layer of cream from a can of full-fat coconut milk. Don’t shake the can or you might mix the cream part with the liquid. You can also refridgerate it first and the cream layer will go the the top and become solid. Just scoop it out and set aside.
I can get about 3/4 cup cream from each can. Sometimes a little more and sometimes a little less. I buy two cans to make sure I’ll have enough. You can either discard what is not needed or do like I do and freeze it into ice cube trays to use in smoothies.
Step 2: Melt the chocolate chips
Place the chocolate chips along with the coconut oil in a medium-sized microwave bowl. I start with two minutes, take it out and stir. Then microwave in one-minute increments for the next couple of rounds, stirring in between each round.
The dairy-free chocolate chips
My favorite brand of dairy-free chocolate chips is Enjoy Life. I get the mini chips because they are more versatile and melt easier. (But if I were going to make chocolate chip cookies, I’ll probably use regular size chips.)
You might be able to find this brand or other dairy-free chocolate chips at the grocery store. Read your labels. Just because it says it is dark chocolate, doesn’t mean it is dairy-free.
The coconut oil
Coconut oil is used for two reasons. First, the oil will help to melt the chocolate chips nicely smooth. Then, the coconut oil is also used to help (slightly) solidify the chocolate sauce.
You must use the type of coconut oil that gets semi-solid when cold. Some coconut oils now come totally liquified – that type is not going to work for this recipe.
I use refined coconut oil because it does not impart a coconutty taste the way extra virgin/unrefined might. You are only using one Tablespoon though, so it probably won’t be that bad if that is all you have on hand.
Step 3: Add the coconut cream
Add the coconut cream, vanilla extract, and cinnamon. Whisk together until nice and smooth. Place covered in the refrigerator for a couple of hours to get thicker. Or serve right away warm – it will be runnier though. If you are using this dairy-free chocolate sauce for a dipping sauce, you will want it cooler and thicker!
Besides just eating it with a spoon, how can you use your healthy vegan chocolate sauce? (Or maybe it’s not so healthy…just my opinion haha!)
- use as a fruit dip for bananas, strawberries, apples, or cherries
- pour warm sauce over cold ice cream and top with some fresh raspberries
- the perfect hot chocolate sauce
- the best vegan chocolate syrup
- Did I mention just eating with a spoon?
You can keep any leftovers in a small jar tightly covered in the fridge for about one week.
For some other rich and delicious vegan chocolate easy recipes from Veggie Fun Kitchen, try:
- Chocolate Almond Ice cream
- Vegan Chocolate Syrup Sauce
- Chocolate Peppermint Martini
- Homemade Vegan Chocolate Liqueur
- Instant Pot Hot Chocolate
- Chocolate Devil’s Food Cake
- Fudge Brownies
The printable recipe card for dairy free chocolate sauce
Did you love this recipe?
Want to share the love? It would be great if you could leave five ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ stars and even a comment. Did you know that this will help Google to find this recipe when others are looking for something similar? Thanks, Cindy
Easy Microwave Dairy-Free Chocolate Dipping Sauce
- 1 cup vegan chocolate chips
- 1 cup coconut cream from two cans – see notes
- ¼ cup plant milk
- 1 Tablespoon refined coconut oil
- ½ Tablespoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Do not shake or stir your cans of coconut milk. Spoon out one cup of coconut cream from the top layer of two cans of coconut milk (full-fat). Discard or save the liquid part for another time.
- In a medium-size bowl mix the chocolate chips and the coconut oil and mix well.
- Add the bowl to the microwave in increments of 30 seconds and stir every time. Heat for a total of 1-2 minutes until the chocolate is melted.
- Add the coconut cream (only the white cream part, just make sure not to shake or stir your can), milk, vanilla extract, ground cinnamon, and whisk until well combined.
- Cover up the bowl and place in the fridge for2-3 hours or until it has hardened a little bit.
- You can serve this with strawberries, pretzels,marshmallows, etc. Heat and serve over ice cream.
1 thought on “Easy Microwave Chocolate Dipping Sauce, Dairy-Free”
Thank you so much for sharing this amazing recipe! Will surely have this again! It’s really easy to make and it tasted so delicious! Highly recommended!