As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Rich and creamy, chocolatey and smooth… This vegan chocolate ganache made with coconut milk and vegan chocolate chips is so easy to make! Drizzle on cake, brownies, cookies, ice cream or more for a rich and chocolate vegan treat.
I think everyone needs an easy chocolate ganache recipe on-hand. There are lots of versions on the internet and they are all pretty much the same! This is my vegan version made with coconut milk and vegan chocolate chips.
The portions are just right for drizzling on a bundt cake or on a small pan of brownies.
Table of contents
Some ways to use chocolate ganache:
- This is the same ganache used to top my Chocolate Mint Brownies
- Use to top Sweet Cream Ice Cream – because it has coconut cream in it, it will form *almost* a magic shell topping
- This ganache is perfect for a Devil’s Food Cake (coming soon)
- Or use as a fruit dip
Pin now to save for later:
Ingredients needed for vegan chocolate ganache:
- the cream from a can of full-fat coconut milk
- vegan chocolate chips
- pure vanilla extract
How to make vegan chocolate ganache:
The coconut milk
You will be using the cream from a can of full-fat coconut milk. The most important thing to ensure the creamiest results is to use only the thick cream you skim from the top of the can.
The easiest way to do this is to place the unopened can in the refrigerator for a few hours so that it solidifies and you can just carefully scoop it out.
Short on time? Put your can in the freezer for an hour and you will get the same result.
What to do with the leftover coconut milk?
Honestly, you will have mostly coconut water at this point and can just toss it. If you don’t want to throw out the excess, freeze it in ice cube trays. You can later pop out a few cubes to use in smoothies.
Melting the chocolate to make ganache:
It couldn’t be easier! Once you’ve scooped out the coconut cream, microwave for up to two minutes. If it starts to boil then stop the microwave.
Pour on top of the chocolate chips you have set aside in a medium-sized mixing bowl.
Let sit for a minute and then start to stir. You will see that the chocolate chips start to get melty.
Keep stirring and before you know it, the chocolate chips will have melted and you have a lovely smooth and silky chocolatey ganache!
Don’t forget to stir in the vanilla. Many recipes I’ve seen online don’t include vanilla. I think it really adds a depth of flavor. I’ve noticed that vegan chocolate chips taste quite heavily chocolate and the vanilla keeps this vegan chocolate ganache from being overly sweet and chocolatey.
Allow to cool!
This is important! If you just pour the ganache on cake while it’s still warm, it will be too thin and will not be a “topping” but will melt in and become part of the cake. Like-wise, if you are pouring this ganache topping on cake, cool the cake first.
I’ve even put it in my fridge to hurry up the cooling process. Patience isn’t always a virtue of mine!
And now for the recipe:
Did you love this recipe? Want to share the love? It would thrill me if you could leave ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ stars and even a comment. Did you know that this will help google to find this recipe when others are looking for something similar? Thanks, Cindy
Easy Vegan Chocolate Ganache, Rich Smooth, and Creamy
- microwave oven
- 3/4 cup full fat coconut milk only use the fat portion – see notes
- 3/4 cup vegan chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Scoop out the fat portion from the top layer of a can of coconut milk. You can more easily achieve this by putting the can in the fridge for a few hours to solidify the fat.
- Heat the coconut fat in a microwave or stovetop till very hot – even just boiling.
- Put the chocolate chips in a small/medium bowl and pour the heated coconut milk over the top.
- In a couple of minutes, the chocolate chips will have begun to melt. Stir together until all melted and the chocolate is nice and glossy.
- Add the vanilla and stir in.
- Allow to cool for at least an hour before pouring onto a cake. I often stick mine in the fridge for a while.