Smooth, creamy, and delicious, this roasted butternut squash soup is rich with herbs and spices, with the wholesome goodness of roasted carrots, celery, and butternut squash.
As a famous brand once said “Soup is good food!”
And it is. When I need the comfort of warm, nutrient-rich, and just an overall satisfying meal, I naturally turn to soup to fill those needs. For some other delicious vegan soups, stews, and chowders, click here to try these recipes.
I think you will really like this roasted butternut squash soup. I have found that roasting vegetables brings out a palate-satisfying caramelized flavor that adds a unique layer of interest. You will make a roux to thicken the soup and add in the perfect seasoning combination that makes this soup really special.
Jump to find:
- For some other satisfying plant-based soup recipes try:
- Pin now to save for later
- Ingredients needed to make roasted butternut squash soup:
- How to make the best roasted vegetable soup:
- The printable recipe card
For some other satisfying plant-based soup recipes try:
- Easy Corn Chowder
- Cream Tomato soup made in the Instant Pot
- African-Inspired Peanut Stew
- Veggie Lentil Soup made in the Instant Pot
- Pumpkin Black Bean Soup
Pin now to save for later
Ingredients needed to make roasted butternut squash soup:
To make this hearty warming roasted vegetable soup, you will need (the exact measurements and directions are in the printable recipe card below):
- butternut squash
- butter (vegan)
- dry minced onion
- olive oil – just a splash
- vegetable broth
- (optional) Not Chick’n Bouillon Seasoning
- You will also need an immersion blender or a regular counter-top blender.
How to make the best roasted vegetable soup:
Preheat your oven to 375°, wash peel, and chop your vegetables.
Do I always peel my carrots?
Not always. If they don’t have a lot of weird things on the skin, I just give them a good wash and scrubbing. This is personal preference of course.
Peeling butternut squash can be tricky
Read this recipe post for Roasted Butternut Squash with Chickpeas for clear directions on how to best peel and chop butternut squash if you are unfamiliar with the technique.
You can also buy precut packed butternut squash. I often do that when I’m in a time crunch.
After rough-cutting the vegetables, place them in a bowl and drizzle with vegetable oil, salt and pepper. Toss to coat.
Place on a lined cookie sheet and put in the oven.
What is best to line the cookie sheet?
Roast your vegetables till slightly browned and tender – about 45-55 minutes.
Making the roux
Making a roux is a time-honored tradition for incorporating flour and fat together before adding in the other ingredients. This will help to thicken your soup and give it a creamy mouth-feel.
Heat a large pot in which your are going to cook your soup. Add in the vegan butter – the higher the fat, the better, and let melt. Don’t let it burn! Once it’s all melted then stir in the flour. It will come together to form the “roux” – or balls of fat/flour. Notice that the roux is slightly browned.
Adding the broth
Once the roux is combined and is a slight golden brown, whisk in the vegetable broth until it is well mixed, creamy, and smooth.
If you wanted to use the optional chicken-less bouillon, then mix it with the vegetable broth ahead of time. I do not usually add this ingredient. I do find though that it adds another layer of flavor when I do though. Just plain vegetable broth is fine!
Adding in the rest of the ingredients
Next, add the roasted vegetables to the pot along with the dehydrated onion flakes, dried thyme, dried rosemary, parsley, and paprika.
Bring to a boil and then turn down and allow the soup to slow simmer for about 20 minutes.
Finishing the soup
Use an immersion blender to blend the soup until it is creamy and smooth.
Ladle into bowls and top with a little sprinkle of parsley and serve with a side of bread or rolls.
My Beer Bread with Garlic and Herbs would be extra delicious with this roasted vegetable soup!
The printable recipe card
Did you love this recipe?
Want to share the love? It would be great if you could leave five ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ stars and even a comment. Did you know that this will help Google to find this recipe when others are looking for something similar? Thanks, Cindy
Roasted Butternut Squash Soup with Rosemary and Time
- immersion blender
- 1 butternut squash
- 3 large carrots
- 2 stalks celery
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste a generous sprinkle of each
- 2 Tablespoons vegan butter or butter of choice
- 2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 Tablespoon dehydrated minced onion see notes
- 1½ teaspoons dry rosemary
- 1½ teaspoons dry thyme
- 1½ teaspoons parsley
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- Preheat the oven to 375°
- Wash, peel, and rough cut the butternut squash, carrots, and celery.
- Add the prepared vegetables to a large bowl and toss with the vegetables oil, salt and pepper.
- Turn the vegetables onto a prepared pan and roast until fork-tender and slightly browed around the edges. This will be anywhere from 45-55 minutes. Remove for the oven.
- Heat a large pot and add the butter. Allow to melt but watch it so that it does not burn.
- Add in the flour and stir around until it combines with the butter and forms the roux. It will probably turn a light golden brown. You do not want it to get much darker than that.
- Add in the vegetable broth, sirring as you add. Your mixture should be creamy and smooth.
- Add in the roasted vegetables, dehydrated onions, and dry seasonings – the roesmary, thyme, parsley, and paprika.
- Bring to a gentle boil and then turn down and allow to simmer for 20 minutes.
- Use an immersion blender and blend until nice and smooth. See notes to use standard blender if you do not have and immersion blender.
- Ladle in to bowls and serve with bread or rolls.