This savory garlic herb beer bread is bursting with flavor. The recipe for this beer bread includes ingredients and suggestions for making it 100% vegan compliant. The garlic herb bread is best sliced and warmed, slathered with a buttery spread; or served as a side with a casserole or soup.
For this garlic herb beer bread recipe you will need:
All purpose flour, organic sugar, baking powder, lemon pepper, dried thyme, oregano (Turkish is best), salt, fresh garlic, beer, and vegan buttery sticks. This is a vegan food blog and so the recipe contains vegan compliant ingredients. You will also need a 9×5″ non-stick loaf pan to make this bread.
Pin now to save for later:
When I first started eating plant-based, I was honestly pretty darn super healthy and 100% whole foods plant-based compliant. Real life did eventually set in though, and I realized that I could occasionally give myself permission to break away for special occasions and eat foods that were more processed. Notice, I emphasized “occasionally” – which not so coincidentally is the same word used in special “occasions”. No, I am not advocating this more processed way of eating on a regular basis; because for our health; the closer we get to a minimally processed whole food plant-based diet, the better off we will be. But I have grown kids….and they occasionally come home and are looking for the special treats that only mama can make. So I will break away from WFPB perfection and feed them the yummy delicious vegan compliant food they are craving. It’s okay…
Tips and Tricks for Making Garlic Herb Beer Bread
- Follow all directions to ensure success.
- This is a vegan food blog and so ingredients used are vegan compliant, including the “butter” used. I’ve tried several different brands and these are what I’ve found to work best (I am not being paid to endorse any product on this recipe post.) As the melted buttery spread used in the recipe to pour in the pan and on top, I’ve had success with Miyoko’s Cultured Vegan Butter sticks and Nucoa buttery sticks.
- For slathering on top and eating, I’ve had success with Earth Balance Buttery Spread. NOTE: This does not work well melted and used as a recipe ingredient. The texture isn’t right. Use one of the buttery sticks pictured above.
- Mix together the dry ingredients and the minced garlic. Make a well in the center and pour the beer on top. Incorporate all of the ingredients.
- Use a vegan compliant beer. If you didn’t know beer was not always vegan. Read this Wikipedia article. It also gives some suggestions as to which beers are vegan.
- If you do not choose to use beer, you may use an unsweetened bubbly type of soda. The bread will not have the “yeasty” taste that the beer has. It will still work though.
- To ensure you are vegan compliant, use organic white sugar. I have tried coconut sugar and was not as successful. If you don’t know that sugar may not be vegan compliant, enjoy this article from Ordinary Vegan.
- Melt 1/4 cup your choice of buttery sticks in the microwave. Pour half into the bread pan and spread around.
- Turn the mixed dough into the pan on top of the melted butter.Spread/press the dough into the corners. Pour the remaining melted butter evenly on top.
- Bake in a 350° oven for 45 – 50 minuets. The bread will be nicely browned on top.
- Let cool for a few minutes until you can handle the pan. Run a knife around the edges to loosen and carefully turn out onto a cooling rack.
Items I Found Useful in Making This Recipe
*Affiliate links* I am an Amazon affiliate which means that clicking on and purchasing through one of these links might earn Veggie Fun Kitchen compensation at no additional cost to you.
And I will just say that yes, I have a bit of a love affair with Penzey’s Spices….
The Recipe and Serving Suggestions for Garlic Herb Beer Bread
My favorite way to eat the savory flavorful garlic herb beer bread is warmed up with my favorite buttery spread or vegan cream cheese on top. Since this bread is savory rather than sweet, jams and jellies don’t work well.
Better yet, serve with a soup or casserole that has complimentary herbal flavors such as my Veggie Lentil Soup or the (pictured) Creamy Vegetable Soup.
Garlic Herb Beer Bread (Vegan)
This savory garlic herb beer bread recipe uses vegan compliant ingredients. It is flavorful and delicious served with a buttery spread on top or as a side for casseroles or soup.
- 3 cups all-purpose white flour
- 1/4 cup organic sugar
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon lemon pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano Turkish is best
- 6 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt use less if watching sodium
- 12 ounce can beer I used Budweiser
- 1/4 cup buttery sticks read blog post for suggestions
Preheat oven to 350°
Chop garlic and set aside.
Mix all dry ingredients and garlic in a medium sized mixing bowl. Make a well in the center.
Pour in beer and mix to incorporate.
Melt 1/4 cup butter sticks. See blog post for brand suggestions.
Pour half int he bottom of a 9x5" load pan. Spread around the bottom of the pan.
Turn bread dough into the buttered pan and gently press into the corners.
Evenly pour remaining melted butter on top.
Bake for 45-50 minutes or until top is nicely browned.
Allow to cool till you can handle the pan, then go around the edges with a knife and turn out onto a cooling rack.