This savory garlic herb beer bread is bursting with flavor. The recipe for this quick bread includes ingredients and suggestions for making it 100% vegan compliant. Cut a nice thick slice, warm it up and slather with a buttery spread; or serve as a side with a casserole or soup.
For this garlic herb beer bread recipe you will need:
All-purpose flour, organic sugar, baking powder, lemon pepper, dried thyme, oregano (Turkish is best), salt, fresh garlic, beer, and vegan butter. (This recipe does contain vegan compliant ingredients. If you are not vegan, you may substitute if desired.) You will also need a 9×5″ non-stick loaf pan to make this bread.
When I first started eating vegan, I was honestly eating pretty darn super healthy and 100% whole foods plant-based compliant – nothing processed. Real life did eventually set in though, and I realized that I could occasionally give myself permission to break away for special occasions and eat foods that were more processed. No, I am not advocating this more processed way of eating on a regular basis; because for our health; the closer we get to a minimally processed whole food plant-based diet, the better off we will be. But I have grown kids….and they occasionally come home and are looking for the special treats that only mama can make. So I will break away from WFPB perfection and feed them the yummy delicious vegan-compliant food they are craving. It’s okay…
If you are looking for a sweet quick bread that is perfect to enjoy over a cup of coffee or tea, try my Chocolate Chip Banana Nut Bread! So good:)
And for the most delicious bread maker bread, try my Bread Machine Wheat Bread with Molasses and Agave.
Tips and Tricks for Making Garlic Herb Beer Bread
- You will be using a vegan butter spread two different ways in this recipe.
- For the melted butter listed in the recipe (you pour on the bottom of the pan and on top of the dough before baking), I’ve had the best success with either Miyoko’s Cultured Vegan Butter Sticks or Country Crock Plant Butter.
- For spreading on a warm slice of beer bread just before eating, I prefer Earth Balance Buttery Spread. (NOTE: The Earth Balance does not work well melted and baked as a recipe ingredient. The texture just isn’t right – it feels too oily. Instead, use one of the vegan butter sticks mentioned above.
- Mix together the dry ingredients and the minced garlic. Make a well or a hole in the center of the dry ingredients and all at once, pour the beer on top. Incorporate all of the ingredients. Don’t overmix or your beer bread will not be as tender.
- For vegan compliance, use a vegan compliant beer and organic white sugar. To learn more, read the following articles on why all beer and sugar may not be compliant.
- This Wikipedia article also gives some great suggestions for vegan beer.
- If you didn’t know that sugar may not be vegan-compliant, you may be interested in this article from Ordinary Vegan.
- If you do not want to use beer, you may substitute with an unsweetened carbonated soda. Though using regular soda will still cause the bread to properly raise, be aware that it will not have a “yeasty” taste if you substitute it for beer.
- Let cool for a few minutes until you can handle the pan. Run a knife around the edges to loosen and carefully turn out onto a cooling rack.
Serving Suggestions for Beer Bread with Garlic and Herbs
- My favorite way to eat the savory flavorful garlic herb beer bread is warmed up with a rich buttery spread or vegan cream cheese on top. Since this bread is savory rather than sweet, do not top with sweet jams or jellies.
- Better yet, serve with a soup or casserole that has complimentary herbal flavors such as my Veggie Lentil Soup or the (pictured) Creamy Vegetable Pasta Soup.
Items I Found Useful in Making This Recipe
Pin now to save for later:
I hope you enjoy the recipe, but please don’t say goodbye!
Does this whet your appetite? Got a taste for more? Subscribe to Veggie Fun Kitchen to get new recipes and ideas to simplify your plant-based cooking routines delivered straight to your inbox! And stay in touch on Facebook, Pinterest, and Instagram for all the latest updates! Enjoy the recipe.
Garlic Herb Beer Bread (Vegan)
- 3 cups all-purpose white flour
- 1/4 cup organic sugar
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon lemon pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano Turkish is best
- 6 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt use less if watching sodium
- 12 ounce can beer I used Budweiser
- 1/4 cup buttery sticks read blog post for suggestions
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Chop garlic and set aside.
- Mix all dry ingredients and garlic in a medium sized mixing bowl. Make a well in the center.
- Pour in beer and mix to incorporate.
- Melt 1/4 cup butter sticks. See blog post for brand suggestions.
- Pour half into the bottom of a 9x5" loaf pan.
- Turn bread dough into the buttered pan and gently press into the corners.
- Evenly pour remaining melted butter on top.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes or until top is nicely browned.
- Allow to cool till you can handle the pan, then go around the edges with a knife and turn out onto a cooling rack.
Pin now to save for later: