As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
This Vegan Pumpkin Black Bean Soup is rich and smooth with pumpkin-y goodness. It is oil-free and so is plant-based. You can whip it up in a matter of minutes because almost all of the ingredients are canned – which you just open, pour, and mix -except for the onions which do need to be softened and sautéed along with a few spices.
The first time I made this soup, I had made my super easy and delicious Pumpkin Spice Crescent Rolls and was looking for something to do with the rest of the can of solid pumpkin. It seemed like such a waste to throw the rest of the can out; and I was actually craving a toasty warm soup on a cool crisp fall day. I started googling and the first recipe that came up was a pumpkin black bean soup from Queen Rachel herself! (That’s right! Rachel Ray:) You can read it here on the Food Network . I veganized it by subbing coconut milk and tweaked the spices a little to meet the tastes of my family – and here you go!
If you have arrived at the page because you just made my tasty little Pumpkin Spice Crescent Rolls, you should know that you are about 2 Tablespoons short of a full can of pumpkin. Don’t stress though, it is not enough to make a difference in the final recipe.
For some other delicious plant-based soups, try my:
Start with a small diced onion and sauté in enough vegetable broth to generously cover the bottom of the pan. It is not necessary to sauté the onions in oil, just watch your pan so that it doesn’t dry out and burn. Yes, I just may have done that a time or two…
I like to get the onion totally softened before adding the other ingredients. The simmer time isn’t long after adding everything else in, and you really don’t want crunchy onions in this soup!
When I say this vegan pumpkin black bean soup is really easy to throw together, I’m not kidding! After sautéing the onion and adding a few spices, just open a few cans and dump them in!
I love to top with pepitas (pumpkin seeds), chives, and maybe a little cilantro. Serve with some warm crusty bread or chips.
Pin it now to save for later:
Looking for a fun “adult” reason to use more coconut cream? Try my Boozy Vegan Shamrock Shake recipe. So creamy and good!
The Recipe for Pumpkin Black Bean Soup:
I hope you enjoy the recipe, but don’t say good-bye! Sign-up here for recipe tips and kitchen wisdom. I also invite you to email me with any questions you have. When you become a part of the Veggie Fun Kitchen Community, you’ll learn to cook great tasting recipes the whole family will enjoy! (No spam here! I will never share your email, and you can unsubscribe whenever you want!)
Pumpkin Black Bean Soup (Vegan)
- 1 onion small, diced
- 1 cup vegetable broth divided, more if needed to keep pan from burning
- 1 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne powder more or less to taste
- 10 turns ground black pepper
- 2 cans (15 ounce) solid pack pumpkin NOT pumpkin pie mix
- 1 can (15.5 ounce) black bean chili beans undrained
- 1 can (13.5 ounce) coconut milk full fat for flavor and lite to save calories
- 1 can (14.5 ounce) fire roasted diced tomatoes. undrained
- pepitas and chopped chives for topping optional
- Add 1/2 cup vegetable broth to pan along with diced onion and sauté until very tender - about 10 minutes. Watch your pan though so that it doesn't dry up and burn. Add more broth if necessary. Make sure your onions are as fully softened before adding the rest of the ingredients as there is not much simmer time.
- Add seasonings in, stirring coat the onions and slightly toast the seasonings.
- Add in solid pumpkin (NOT pumpkin pie mix), undrained black bean chili beans, coconut milk, and undrained diced tomatoes.
- Add up to1/2 cup or so of broth to get the best consistency.
- Stir together and heat through till barely brought to a boil and heated through.
- Top with pepitas, and chopped chives. Serve warm.