These roasted sweet potato rounds have a special holiday flavor with savory herbs, brown sugar, and ground cinnamon. Serve them at your Thanksgiving table or other special holiday events. Topped with chopped walnuts for a delicious seasonal roasted sweet potato dish.
If you love baked sweet potatoes, you are going to be craving these special holiday-roasted sweet potato rounds. They are roasted with the Thanksgiving holiday flavors with fresh herbs, brown sugar, and just the right touch of cinnamon.
They are so easy to make too. Just prepare the sweet sweet potato rounds, prepare the herbs, brush with a little melted butter, and sprinkle the brown sugar and cinnamon. Bake and you will have a festive flavorful holiday sweet potato side dish on your table in no time!
Reasons to love these special holiday sweet potato rounds:
- A fun new way to use sweet potatoes. Make this recipe for roasted sweet potato rounds as great holiday alternative to a sweet potato casserole and other holiday sweet potato recipes.
- Made with “Thanksgiving” flavored herbs like rosemary, sage, and thyme.
- Made savory and sweet with herbs, salty vegan butter, and brown sugar.
- Made vegan-friendly by using vegan butter.
Pin now to save for later:
For some more vegan recipes using sweet potatoes, try:
- sweet potato casserole with pecans and brown sugar – a family favorite we had for years at holidays, vegan adapted
- savory sweet potato casserole – rich and decadent, vegan adapted from a recipe found on Bon Appetit
- candied yams with marshmallows – made with my favorite vegan marshmallows
- sweet potato stew – amazing flavor combinations, served with rice
- chili lime sweet potatoes with black beans and lentils – highly flavorful and higher protein, makes for great meal prep too
- African peanut stew – wholesome and spicy, made with veggies, sweet potatoes, peanuts, and peanut butter
- sweet potato cubes with red onion made in the air fryer – great side dish for any meal, we serve for breakfast with my tofu scramble
- sweet potato brown sugar praline boats – another fun holiday twist
Ingredients needed to make this special holiday sweet potato side dish:
- sweet potatoes – You will need four medium-large-sized sweet potatoes. Use any variety you’d like. They should all be fairly uniform in size and shape if possible for when you slice the sweet potatoes into rounds.
- vegan butter – We are a vegan family and so we use vegan butter. Make sure you like the taste of the vegan butter you use as the flavor can vary from brand to brand. It doesn’t matter if you use stick or tub vegan butter as long as you enjoy the flavor. If you are not vegan then use the butter of choice that works for you. Do not try to substitute coconut oil, olive oil, or another vegetable oil. The vegan butter gives the sweet potatoes a real buttery taste that the other oils don’t.
- brown sugar
- Thanksgiving-flavored fresh herbs such as oregano, rosemary, and thyme. Please use fresh herbs for this recipe. You will be chopping the fresh herbs and sprinkling them on before roasting the sweet potatoes.
- ground cinnamon – This recipe calls for just a half teaspoon of ground cinnamon. You might not think that is much, but it is just the right amount to give your sweet potato side dish a real holiday flavor.
- salt and pepper
- chopped walnuts – You can buy the walnuts already prechopped or buy them whole and chop them yourself. I love this handy manual chopper. It’s small enough to keep in the cupboard and washes up easily. If you prefer the flavor of pecans, they substitute nicely for walnuts in this recipe.
How to make holiday roasted sweet potato rounds
The exact ingredients with measurements can be found in the recipe card below along with more concise abbreviated instructions. Read on for more details, tips, and tricks so that you will feel confident making this recipe.
Step 1: Prepare for cooking
Prepare the oven and pan, the fresh herbs, and the sweet potatoes. After you get everything prepared, this dish will come together quickly and easily.
Prepare the oven and pan
Prepare the fresh herbs
Wash, dry, and chop the fresh herbs. You will be sprinkling them on together so it is okay if, after chopping, you set them aside in the same bowl.
If you did not buy your walnuts pre-chopped, chop them now. Set them aside separately from the chopped herbs.
Prepare the sweet potatoes
Wash and dry the sweet potatoes. Remove any “weird” blighted pieces. It’s best if you check your sweet potatoes before purchasing them to avoid large blemishes.
Remove the narrow pointy end pieces from each sweet potato to make for more uniform roasted sweet potato slices.
Do not peel the sweet potatoes. They need to cook in their skins so that the sweet potato rounds will be more solid and not fall apart when you remove them from the pan. Sweet potato skins are totally edible and according to this article by Healthline, sweet potato skins provide important fiber and nutrients.
Now slice each sweet potato into thirds so that you have twelve evenly cut, thick, sweet potato slices. Place them on the prepared baking sheet or pan, spacing them evenly.
Step 2: The vegan butter and brown sugar
In a microwave-safe bowl melt the vegan butter in fifteen-second increments. Use a pastry brush or something similar to brush half of the melted butter on top of the sweet potato rounds. Reserve the rest of the butter after adding the brown sugar.
Press the brown sugar on top of each sweet potato, dividing it evenly onto each buttered sweet potato slice. Press down slightly on top of each brown sugar mound so that it stays on each sweet potato.
Finally, drizzle or spoon the remaining butter on top of the brown sugar on each sweet potato slice, again, with a mind to divide it as equally as possible.
Step 3: the cinnamon and herbs
Mix together the chopped herbs, ground cinnamon, salt, and pepper. Sprinkle evenly on top of the buttered brown sugar on each sweet sweet potato slice. You might need to press slightly so that the majority stays on the prepared sweet potato slices. It’s okay if some of the herbal mixture falls off, but the majority should be on the sweet potatoes.
Step 4: Bake the prepared sweet potato rounds
You will be baking at 350° for twenty minutes before removing the baking sheet and adding the chopped walnuts. The total cooking time of thirty-five minutes is too long for the walnuts and they will burn if they are cooked for the full time.
After twenty minutes remove the baking sheet with the roasted sweet potato rounds from the oven. Sprinkle the walnuts on and around the sweet potato slices. When I sprinkle the walnuts around the slices, I try to sprinkle them on top of some of the brown sugar and melted butter that has fallen around the baked sweet potatoes.
Return the baking sheet to the oven and continue cooking for fifteen minutes more for a total of thirty-five minutes of cooking time.
The roasted sweet potato rounds should be lightly browned and fork tender. If the sweet potatoes are not fork-tender then put the baking pan back in the oven for 3-5 minute increments.
Serve the holiday baked sweet potato slices
These baked sweet potato slices are best served immediately. If you need to keep them warm while other dishes for your holiday meal are finishing, then cover them with foil. Keep in a warm oven if necessary.
For some other great vegan holiday side dishes try:
The printable recipe card
Did you love this recipe?
Want to share the love? It would be great if you could leave five ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ stars and even a comment. Did you know that this will help Google to find this recipe when others are looking for something similar? Thanks, Cindy
Sweet Potato Rounds, Roasted with brown Sugar and Herbs
- 4 sweet potatoes
- 7 Tablespoons vegan butter
- ½ cup brown sugar packed
- 1½ Tablespoons fresh oregano chopped
- 1½ Tablespoons fresh rosemary chopped
- 1½ Tablespoons fresh thyme chopped
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- ¼ cup walnuts chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350° Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set it aside.
- Chop the oregano, rosemary, and thyme. Set aside. If the walnuts weren't purchased chop, chop the walnuts and set them aside as well.
- Wash and dry the sweet potatoes. Cut the ends off from each sweet potato and throw them away. Cut the prepared sweet potatoes into thirds.
- Place the cut sweet potato rounds evenly onto the prepared baking sheet.
- In a microwave-safe bowl melt the vegan butter in fifteen-second increments. Use a pastry brush or something similar to brush half of the melted butter on top of the sweet potato rounds.
- Press the brown sugar on top of each sweet potato with a mind to divide it evenly.
- Drizzle or spoon the remaining butter on top of the brown sugar, again, with a mind to divide it equally.
- Mix together the chopped herbs, ground cinnamon, salt, and pepper. Sprinkle evenly on top of the buttered brown sugar on each sweet sweet potato.
- Bake for 20 minutes at 350°
- After cooking for 20 minutes, remove from the oven and sprinkle the walnuts on top of the prepared sweet potatoes.
- Continue cooking for an additional 15 minutes. Check for doneness with a fork. The fork should slide in the middle easily. Remove from the oven with fully cooked. Serve immediatley.