These super healthy Vegan Street Tacos are easy to whip up and work great for after school snacks or as lunch box food item. They are vegan and whole food plant based. They are great served right away and warm, but also work well at room temperature if taken in a school lunch box.
The vegan street tacos are kid-friendly! For other kid-friendly recipe ideas, try my Sweet Potato Black Bean Burgers and Easy Mini Calzone Pizza Dippers. Both are family favorites!
Vegan Street Tacos: Perfect for the Lunch Box
Because we use vegetables instead of meat, these vegan street tacos will keep well in an insulated lunch box for half a day with an icepack with less danger of spoiling. We use riced vegetables as a filling and add in some taco seasoning for flavor.
Tips and Tricks:
- Start with riced vegetables. I don’t ever rice the vegetables myself (because who has time for that!) but buy the vegetables either from the freezer section or when I can find them, in the produce section.
- I particularly like the cauliflower/ sweet potato veggies I can find in the frozen food aisle.
- Line a saucepan with a little vegetable broth to keep the vegetables from sticking. Stir in 1-2 teaspoons taco seasoning – depending on your family’s taste. Remember, if you start low, you can always add more. Use my Homemade Taco Seasoning Mix for the freshest flavor!
- I just buy my favorite taco seasoning. If you eat vegan, make sure you read the ingredients to ensure the seasoning is compliant. Add in a little squeeze of ketchup to give the filling a saucy texture. After about 2-3 minutes, when the vegetables have softened, remove from heat.
- Look for the mini tortillas in the grocery store. These are labeled for street tacos, four inches across, and are a perfect size. If you are unable to find this size, you can always cut them down using a 4″ circle/lid/cookie cutter.
- Portion out the vegetable mixture in the middle and add your choice of toppings. You can add vegan cheese shreds, lettuces shreds, and taco sauce. I like to top with my Taco Tofu Crumbles.
- You can make the mixture up to several days ahead of time and store in an airtight container in the refrigerator. It is best to put these together right before eating. If using as a school lunch box meal item, put together either the morning of so that the tortillas don’t get soggy. The vegan street tacos do not need to be reheated to enjoy. If you send in a lunch box, also include some fun dipping sauces like mild salsa, guacamole, or my vegan chili cheese sauce.
Pin now to save for later:
Vegan Street Tacos
- 12 4 inch corn tortillas
- 1/4 cup vegetable broth
- 1 cup riced cauliflower
- 1-2 teaspoons taco seasoning
- 2 teaspoons ketchup
- toppings: lettuce, salsa, guacamole, taco sauce
- Set aside 12 mini tortillas. In true street taco fashion, you will be doubling up, using one as a holder - so this makes 6 mini street tacos.
- Line a pan with 1/4 vegetable broth to keep the vegetables from sticking. Add more if necessary.
- Add 1 cup riced cauliflower to the pan along with 1-2 teaspoons taco seasoning and 2 teaspoons ketchup. Cook until vegetables have softened.
- Put it all together, adding toppings as desired.
- You can store the vegetable mixture in an airtight container in the fridge for 5 days. If this is for a school lunch box, hold off on putting it together till either the night before - or better yet, morning of.