Make your own taco seasoning mix at home with a few simple ingredients. It will be fresher and tastier than the seasoning mix you buy in a packet. The best part is that you can adjust the ingredients to your personal taste.
Being the lazy cook that I am, I always just used a packet of taco seasoning mix when a recipe called for it. In fact, I had a gallon-size plastic bag in my cupboard that I used to store seasoning packets and such in. It lived in my cupboard for years.
Until I took out a packet for a special Taco Tuesday event and found the contents hardened and stale. And it was my last packet. And everyone was in the other room waiting for my “famous” lentil tacos. How embarrassing…
Did you know you could make your own taco seasoning at home? And keep it sealed tight in a jar for a really long time?
Why you will love this fresh homemade taco seasoning
- easy to make
- control your own seasonings and salt
- package it cute to make a fun gift
For some recipes using taco seasoning mix, click to try my:
- Lentil Taco Meat in the Instant Pot
- Tofu Taco Crumbles
- Vegan Street Tacos
- Burrito with Riced Cauliflower
Navigate this post
- Why you will love this fresh homemade taco seasoning
- For some recipes using taco seasoning mix, click to try my:
- Pin now to save for later
- Ingredients needed to make taco seasoning
- How to make taco seasoning mix from scratch
- A few FAQs and a few answers
- The printable recipe card
Pin now to save for later
Ingredients needed to make taco seasoning
- chili powder
- ground cumin
- garlic powder
- onion powder
- ground pepper
- chili flakes
- You’ll also need an airtight jar or other container to put it it when finished
How to make taco seasoning mix from scratch
Step 1: measure and mix
There is really only a step 1…measure and mix.
BUT this is the best time to test out your mix and see if it works for you. For example, I’m not going to use a “hot” chili powder for my family but will use the correct amount of red pepper flakes. We do like it a little spicy – but not too hot. Perhaps you do.
We are also fans of salt. If you aren’t a fan of salt (and sodium) then leave it out. Give it a taste and only add in what you’d like.
I know people who think too much garlic is never enough. Well, now it’s your chance to add a little extra – but not too much. Remember, this is taco seasoning – not garlic seasoning!
Step 2: package and store
Put your mixed taco seasoning in a little jar and screw the lid on tightly.
This would actually make a nice gift. Put it in a cute jar with a ribbon on top and then attach a few recipes using taco seasoning mix.
A few FAQs and a few answers
According to Asking Lot, there are two Tablespoons of taco seasoning in one McCormick Packet.
Only as long as the individual seasonings would have lastest. Just make sure to store it in a jar with a lid. Also, a cooled darkened place would be helpful.
Do you keep your other spices or seasonings in the fridge? Only do that if it’s something you’d do anyway. There is nothing especially perishable about this seasoning mix.
This recipe is the perfect mix for me. If you want to use less salt, then mix it first before adding in the salt. I think it needs it…but then, I’m not cutting down my sodium intake.
Use regular sweet paprika for this recipe. If you want to add a smoked flavor to your dishes then add in a little smoked paprika when you cook your meal – but not in the seasoning mix.
The printable recipe card
Did you love this recipe?
Want to share the love? It would be great if you could leave five ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ stars and even a comment. Did you know that this will help Google to find this recipe when others are looking for something similar? Thanks, Cindy
Easy Homemade Taco Seasoning Mix
- ⅓ cup chili powder
- 2 Tablespoons ground cumin
- 2 Tablespoons garlic powder
- 2 Tablespoons paprika
- 1 Tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 Tablespoon onion powder
- ½ Tablespoon salt
- ½ Tablespoon ground black pepper
- ½ Tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Combine all ingredientns in a medium-sized bowl. Stir together to mix well.
- Store in an air-tight container. This should keep for weeks or months – depending on how fresh your spices are.
2 thoughts on “Easy Homemade Taco Seasoning Mix”
Terrific, easy to make seasoning.
Thanks a lot for this seasoning recipe! So tasty and flavorful! Will surely make this again! Highly recommended!