A burrito is just a handy little package of yum! These burritos with riced cauliflower and brown rice are totally vegan and plant-based – even down to the Chili Cheese Sauce!You’ll need to grab that Vegan Chili Cheese Sauce (Instant Pot) recipe here (Or for the stovetop version here) and get started on it right away! It’s an important part of this recipe but a little labor involved. It will be worth it though, and if you have any leftovers, you can enjoy the cheese sauce with chips or veggies.
Because the Vegan Chili Cheese sauce is a little labor intensive, there are some other shortcuts you can take while making these burritos so that you can get out of the kitchen and on to the eating
Sure, if you want to do it the hard way you can rice your own cauliflower, cook and mash your own beans, steam your own rice, and mix your own taco seasoning; I choose to take a short-cut or two when I can.
My favorite short-cut is the frozen riced cauliflower. Green Giant has a couple of different varieties. I like the cauliflower/sweet potato when I can find it. There are other companies that offer riced cauliflower. I’ve even seen it in the fresh produce department – not frozen, of course.
You cook the riced cauliflower, rice and taco seasoning in a non-stick pan with a little vegetable broth. No oil is necessary! Add a little cheese sauce and you are ready to “roll”!
Making one burrito at a time, smear a little down the middle of a whole wheat tortilla. I like Amy’s Vegetarian refried beans. They are actually vegan if you read the back label. If you prefer a gluten-free or lower carb variety of tortilla, they are available.
Knowing that I’ll be rolling eight burritos, I portion my cauliflower/ rice mixture into eight portions. That way I don’t run short at the end or have left-overs.
Place a portion of the cauliflower/rice mixture on top of the refried beans.
I fold the sides in first to make the burrito easier to roll.
After I roll each burrito I carefully place it in a 9×13 pan that I’ve sprayed with a little coconut oil.
I spritz the top with a little coconut oil so that it will brown nicely. If you are avoiding oil, this step is not necessary. When they are cooked through and a little browned on top, pull them out of the oven and get them ready to serve.
Before serving, smother with the Vegan Chili Cheese Sauce and top with guacamole. You can also top with your salsa of choice and cilantro.
This dish is one of my go-tos for meal prep. Just put each burrito in its own container and top with the cheese sauce.
Leave the guacamole off the meal prep burritos though until they have been heated through and are ready to eat. I like to buy the little containers and just tuck one into my lunchbox.
Burrito with Riced Cauliflower and Brown Rice (Vegan)
- 1 recipe Vegan Chili Cheese Sauce, divided make ahead
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth more to keep pan from sticking
- 12 ounces riced cauliflower/veggie mix
- 1 package taco seasoning
- 1 15.5 ounce can refried beans use lard free/vegan
- 8 8' tortillas
- Make Vegan Chili Cheese Sauce and set aside. You will be using 1/2 cup in the filling and topping with the remaining.
- Pre heat oven to 375 fahrenheit.
- Prepare a 9x13 pan by lightly spraying with coconut cooking spray or cooking spray of your choice.
- Line a non-stick large sauce pan with vegetable broth. You may need to use more to prevent vegetable/rice mixture from sticking.
- Add riced cauliflower and pre-made brown rice to pan along with taco seasoning mix. Stir until vegetables are softened and heated through. 5-7 minutes.
- Stir in 1/2 cup Vegan Chili Cheese Sauce. Remove from heat.
- Working with one burrito at a time, spread about 2 Tablespoons refried beans down the center of an 8" tortilla. Top with about 1/2 cup cauliflower/rice mixture.
- Begin by folding two sides in and then rolling and tucking until you have a burrito. Set in prepared 9x13 pan. Continue until all burritos have been rolled and are in the pan.
- You can OPTIONALLY spray with a little cooking oil on top. This is not necessary but will help them crisp up in the oven. Cook in a 375° oven for 25 minutes until heated through. Serve with Vegan Chili Cheese Sauce. You may also top with guacamole and salsa.
- If using this recipe for meal prep, put each burrito in a separate container and top with Vegan Chili Cheese Sauce. When ready, heat and eat. If you are using guacamole or salsa, wait until heated and right ready to eat before putting on top. You can buy little guacamole containers to slip into your lunchbox.