This easy delicious apple pie dump cake only takes a few ingredients like Ritz crackers, apple pie filling, cream cheese (vegan), vanilla, and a cake mix. Top with some optional pecans and vegan butter and you’ve got a quick tasty dessert the whole family will love!
Dump cakes are a lot of fun. Anyone can make it – even kids (with some adult supervision)! Because this is a vegan blog, I’ve given product suggestions that are vegan friendly. If you are not vegan, then use what you normally would.
Table of contents
- For some more quick and easy dump cake desserts:
- Pin now to save for later:
- To make this apple pie dump cake dessert you will need:
- The vegan-friendly ingredients:
- How to make Apple Pie Dump Cake:
- Serving the cake:
- And now for the recipe!
For some more quick and easy dump cake desserts:
- Apple Spice Dump Cake in the Slow Cooker
- Easy Pumpkin Dump Cake with Pecans
- Cherry Cheesecake Dump Cake
- Easy Peach Dump Cake with White Chocolate and Pecans
Pin now to save for later:
To make this apple pie dump cake dessert you will need:
- Ritz crackers
- butter (vegan – stick or tub is fine)
- 2 large cans of apple pie filling
- sour cream (vegan)
- vanilla extract
- white or yellow cake mix
- pecans or other nuts (optional)
The vegan-friendly ingredients:
The Duncan Hines cake mix:
Did you know that Duncan Hines cake mixes are what is known as “accidentally vegan”? That is, they didn’t set out to be vegan, but the product has no overt animal products listed in the ingredients. There are two exceptions however, the sugar is from an unknown source and may be processed through bone char. Palm oil is an ingredient and is controversial. Read the linked articles and decide for yourself. And be aware that most commercial products we buy may have similar circumstances from candy to ketchup to chips…
Yep, another “accidentally vegan” product! Apparently, they used to be made with lard. Thank goodness no longer! Want to try another recipe made with Ritz Crackers? How does some homestyle Baked Mac and Cheese sound?
The butter and the sour cream:
Again, if you are not vegan, this recipe has been tested by non-vegan friend and works great with dairy products.
I use Tofutti sour cream and Earth Balance Buttery Spread. Both so delicious.
How to make Apple Pie Dump Cake:
This is so easy! Spritz your 9×13 baking pan with cooking spray. Drizzle a little melted butter in the bottom and place 24 Ritz Crackers on top.
The butter will start to soften the crackers to make the bottom layer into a pie crust of sorts.
Next, you open two large cans of apple pie filling and pour on top. I like to find the apple pie filling with a little cinnamon and spice. I was also happy to find canned apple pie filling that advertised “extra apples” – yum!
Mix the vanilla into the sour cream and dollop on top of the apple layer.
Gently spread as evenly as you can.
Then simply open a cake mix and sprinkle on top. No mixing!
If you are using nuts then this is the time to add them, before the butter. If you have stick butter then slice the whole stick. If you only have tub butter then melt 1/2 a cup and drizzle on top.
Then bake until golden and a little bubbly around the edges. Easy peasy huh?!?
Serving the cake:
You will want to let the cake cool for a couple of hours in order to cut it. As you can see, I’m not a patient girl and really couldn’t wait the full two hours!
Not the prettiest dump cake I’ve made; but definitely one of the tastiest!
And now for the recipe!
Did you love this recipe? Want to share the love? It would thrill me if you could leave ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ stars and even a comment. Did you know that this will help google to find this recipe when others are looking for something similar? Thanks, Cindy
Sour Cream Apple Pie Dump Cake (Vegan)
- 9×13 pan
- 24 Ritz Crackers
- 3/4 cup vegan butter divided into two steps ¼ cup and ½ cup
- 2 21 ounce canned apple pie filling
- 12 ounces vegan sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- 1 cup (optional) nuts, chopped I used pecans
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Melt 1/4 cup vegan butter and line the bottom of a 9×13 pan. Tilt to spread evenly.
- Place 24 Ritz crackers in the bottom of the pan on top of the melted butter.
- Add the two cans of apple pie filling, spreading evenly.
- Mix the vanilla into the sour cream and stir well.
- In small even portions, dollop spoonfuls of the sour cream mixture on top of the apple pie filling layer.
- Sprinkle the cake mix evenly on top.
- If you are adding the optional nuts to the top, chop if necesssary, and sprinkle evenly.
- Add the remaining 1/2 cup butter to the top of the cake mix layer. You can either slice and place evenly (if you have stick butter), or melt and drizzle.
- Bake in a 350° oven for about 35 minutes or until the top is lightly browned.
- Take out of the oven and allow cooling to room temperature.
- Store leftover covered in the refrigerator. If the dump cake is quite cold, you'll want to go ahead and dish out and then let sit for a few minutes to come closer to room temperature. This will allow the flavors to come through better and the butter won't be rock solid.