Vegan Breakfast Scramble with Just Egg tastes so authentically like the scrambled eggs you might remember. You’ll wonder if someone is playing a trick on you! Made extra delicious with bell peppers, onion, potato and spinach. Flavor with black salt (affiliate link) for a genuine scrambled egg flavor.
Hey, so do you think you might be looking at a photo of a fluffy scrambled egg? Um hmm. If you tasted it, you might think you were eating one too. But nope, this vegan breakfast scramble is made with one of my new favorite products: Just Egg, which cooks and tastes pretty much like an egg!
I will tell you, I almost didn’t write this recipe post because to me it seems a little too simple. My son was visiting and I made this dish for a lazy Saturday morning breakfast. He asked me if this recipe was on the blog.
I laughed and said of course not! It’s nothing special! It’s just like making a breakfast scramble with real eggs, except that you use Just Egg instead. Anyone who knew how to scramble a chicken egg could scramble Just Egg as well.
He gave me a strange look before reminding me that he (being the vegan millennial that he is), had never actually scrambled an egg in his life. Not because he didn’t know how to cook; but by the time he was out of the house and making his own food, he was definitely not scrambling – or even eating eggs. Good point!
Pin now to save for later:
Just Egg is made from mung beans and soy as well as some other ingredients that give it its fluffy egg-like texture. It does contain fat though; but is cholesterol free. You can read more about Just Egg on their website.>
I like Just Egg so much better than tofu for a breakfast scramble. It simply has the authentic fluffy texture that tofu does not have.
For Some other Delicious Vegan Breakfast Ideas, Try:
- Vegan Classic Breakfast Casserole
- Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole
- Healthy Banana Nut Pancakes
- Broccoli Leek Frittata
- The Easiest Monkey Bread
To Make This Vegan Breakfast Scramble, You Will Need:
- Just Egg
- black salt/kala namak (affiliate link)
- onion (I use shallots)
- bell pepper – any color (I like to use a combo of colors)
- baby spinach
- salt and pepper to taste
- cooking oil of choice
- a non-stick pan (even with using the cooking oil)
Tips and Tricks for Making this Vegan Breakfast Scramble:
- You will need to use oil as well as a non-stick pan for this recipe. I always like to give an oil-free option in my recipes when I can because I know that many of us are trying to eat oil-free. I have not had luck with this product though. It really tends to stick to the pan – even with a good non-stick pan. Sorry.
- Cook the potato till almost cooked – about 3 minutes in the microwave. If you overcook it then it will be mushy and hard to cube.
- While the potato is cooking and (slightly) cooling, you can chop the onion and peppers.
- I like to use shallot because I like the sharp yet sweet flavor. This is a personal preference though.
- I like to use a variety of colors of bell peppers. This means that you are going to have lots of bell pepper left over. If you choose to do this, you can always chop and freeze the left-over peppers.
Cooking the vegetables:
Cook the chopped and cubed vegetables in the cooking oil (I prefer to use avocado oil). For about 5-7 minutes until they are softened and the cubed potato begins to develop a nice crusty brown exterior. Salt and pepper to taste.
Add in a little black salt, or Kala Namak to the Just Egg. Black salt isn’t actually black; but a pinkish gray. And its doesn’t have a salty taste so much as it has a slightly sulphur-like taste – similar to cooked eggs. You might find it at an Indian grocery. I order mine on Amazon:
Add in 1/8 teaspoon, close the lid to the Just Egg and give it a good shake!
Pour the Just Egg all at once on top of the cooked veggie mixture. You really have to attend the scramble as it’s cooking or the Just Egg will stick to the bottom of the pan. Constantly scrape and turn as it is cooking.
It will cook up nice and fluffy just like a real egg scramble would and in just about the same amount of time. Do be careful though that you don’t overcook it because it will be a little rubbery. When it looks like it is just about cooked, add in the baby spinach and continue cooking and turning for a couple of minutes until the spinach has wilted.
Breakfast is served! Did you ever think you’d be eating a breakfast scramble again?
The Recipe For Vegan Breakfast Scramble with Just Egg:
I hope you enjoy the recipe, but don’t say good-bye! Sign-up here for recipe tips and kitchen wisdom. I also invite you to email me with any questions you have. When you become a part of the Veggie Fun Kitchen Community, you’ll learn to cook great tasting recipes the whole family will enjoy! (No spam here! I will never share your email, and you can unsubscribe whenever you want!)
Vegan Breakfast Scramble
- 1 med potato
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped I used a shallot.
- 1/2 cup bell pepper, chopped any color
- 2 Tablespoons oil I like avocado oil
- salt and pepper to flavor (optional)
- 12 ounces Just Egg
- 2 cups baby spinach loosely packed
- 1/8 teaspoon Black Salt see note
- Cook the potato in the microwave for three minutes. It should not be all the way cooked yet - but mostly.
- Chop onion of choice. I prefer shallots. You will use one approximately whole shallot or 1/2 onion.
- Chop bell pepper of choice. You will use approximately 1/2 large pepper. I like to use at least two different colors in this recipe.
- Wash the baby spinach if not pre-washed, and pat dry.
- Cube cooked potato into bite-sized pieces, leaving the skin on.
- Heat the oil in a non-stick pan. (You will need both oil and a non-stick pan or your Just Egg will stick to the pan.)
- Add in onions, peppers, and potatoes. Saute for about 5-7 minutes or until softened. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the black salt to the Just Egg product. Close the lid and shake well.
- All at once, pour the Just Egg product in the pan with the cooked vegetables. Stir and turn with a spatula, scraping the pan often so that it doesn't stick.
- After about 5-7 minutes, when the Just Egg has thickened and cooked and almost resembles a scrambled egg, add in the baby spinach and continue to stir and turn for a couple of minutes or until spinach has wilted.
- Optional - add your favorite hot sauce, more salt and pepper to taste.