Street tacos layered with oven-roasted cauliflower bites, easy cabbage slaw, and avocado crema all on a just-right-sized hand-held soft taco.
What are street tacos?
When I think of street tacos, I think of smaller hand-held tacos you can quickly grab, eat, and go.
In my pre-vegan days, I used to see them sold from taco trucks in my small California desert home, but obviously not vegan. Ever.
These street tacos are made with savory roasted cauliflower bites and crunchy coleslaw with seasoned rice vinegar. These culinary fusion tacos are nothing you’d find sold out of a taco truck. But are still small enough to hold in your hand, grab and go.
For another tasty grab and go street taco, try my Vegan Street Tacos. And if you are just looking for a delicious plant-based taco filling, you can’t go wrong with my Vegan Taco Meat wit Lentils and Walnuts made in the Instant Pot.Jump to Recipe
Pin now to save for later:
Ingredients needed for the cauliflower street tacos:
There is a printable recipe card below if you keep scrolling with all of the exact ingredients and measurements.
For the cauliflower bites:
- two small heads of cauliflower
- coconut aminos
- chili powder
- a little oil (optional and missing from the photo above)
For the Coleslaw Mixture:
- two cups coleslaw mix (I like the 3-color mix. You won’t use the whole bag for this recipe. Make my Crunchy BBQ Chickpea Salad Sandwich with the left-overs.)
- green onions (also called scallions)
- seasoned rice vinegar (use unseasoned or lite if trying to cut back on sodium or sugar – but the seasoned really tastes the best.)
For the Avocado Crema:
This is the same recipe as for my stand-alone Creamy Avocado Sauce. It’s really good!
- onion and garlic powders
- lime juice
- unsweetened plant milk (I use oat milk)
You’ll also need some 4″ corn tortillas. I used the white corn tortillas for this recipe. And honestly, even though corn tortillas are more traditional for street tacos, I prefer flour tortillas.
How to make the street tacos with cauliflower bites:
Roasting the cauliflower bites:
Cut the cauliflower into small bite-sized pieces.
Toss in a bowl along with the coconut aminos, and other seasonings. If you can’t find coconut aminos, use a little soy sauce sweetened with sugar.
If using oil, toss a little neutral tasting oil with the cauliflower. I use avocado oil. Olive or coconut oil would have too much flavor.
Spread evenly onto a cookie sheet or jelly roll pan and bake in a 380° oven. You will want to line the baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat – my personal preference. Especially if you aren’t using oil, the cauliflower will stick if you don’t use a non-stick mat or lining of sorts.
You’ll want to cook until the cauliflower is lightly browned and tender – about 40 minutes.
While the cauliflower is cooking, you can prepare the coleslaw mixture and the avocado crema.
Preparing the coleslaw mixture:
I like to use bagged coleslaw mix because it’s quick and easy and because I like the variety. If you choose to make your own, cut the cabbage quite thin.
You will also use green onions – both the white and green parts.
As mentioned above, for the best flavor, use seasoned rice vinegar. It does have added sodium and sugar. If that is not within your eating plan, look at the lite seasoned vinegar first and see if that will work for you. Finally, you can use regular unseasoned vinegar. It will be tasty – but not as amazingly tasty as the seasoned vinegar is.
Toss together and set aside. You’ll be adding on top of the roasted cauliflower bites.
Preparing the avocado crema:
Cut open the avocados and spoon insides into a high speed blender or food processor. Add in the garlic and onion powders, salt, lime juice and plant milk. Process till smooth and creamy. You’ll be dolluping on top of the finished street tacos.
Putting the Cauliflower Street Tacos together:
You’ve done the hard part. The rest is easy and delicious!
Making the street tacos three at a time, just place a few pieces of roasted cauliflower on top of each tortilla. Top with some of the seasoned coleslaw mixture and a spoonful of the avocado crema. Pick it up with your hand and put it in your mouth! So good:)
Health it up! You can roast the cauliflower without oil. The flavor won’t be any different but the texture will be. If you add in the oil, the cauliflower bites will be a little crispier; and without the oil, they will be a little softer. You won’t really notice much of a difference. As mentioned above, use lite seasoned rice vinegar.
And now for the recipe:
Did you love this recipe?
Want to share the love? It would be great if you could leave five ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ stars and even a comment. Did you know that this will help Google to find this recipe when others are looking for something similar? Thanks, Cindy
Street Tacos with Cauliflower Bites
- food processor
Oven Roasted Cauliflower Bites
- 2 heads cauliflower cut into bite-szed pieces
- 2 Tablespoons coconut aminos
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 Tablespoons oil (or leave out)
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups cole slaw mix (or shredded cabbage)
- 2 green onions (white and green parts – chopped)
- 1/4 cup seasoned rice vinegar
- 2 medium avocados
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon lime juice
- 1/4 cup plant milk (unflavored and unsweetened) I prefer oat milk
- 10 4 inch tortillas (street taco size – I prefer flour)
- chopped cilantro for garnish
Oven Roasted Cauliflower Bites
- Preheat oven to 380°
- Cut the cauliflower into small bite-sized pieces. Add to a med-large bowl.
- Add in coconut aminos, chili powder, cumin, and salt and oil if you are using it. Toss around so that all the cauliflower pieces are evenly coated.
- Turn onto a silicone matt or a foil-lined (and oil sprayed) baking sheet. Roast at 380° for about 40 minutes or until cauliflower is browned and tender. Take out of oven.
Cole Slaw Mixture
- In the meantime, make the coleslaw mixture as well as the avocado crema (see below).
- Used prepackaged coleslaw mix. I like the tri-color with the green and red cabbage as well as carrots. If you prefer, you can make your own mixture.
- Slice the green onions – both the white bulb and most of the green stem.
- Add the coleslaw mix, sliced green onions, and seasoned rice vinegar to a medium sized mixing bowl and toss together.
- While the cauliflower bites are cooking, make the coleslaw mixture and avocado crema.
- Cut open avocados and spoon insides into a high-speed blender or food processor. (The finished product will be smoother in a food processor.)
- Add in garlic and onion powders, salt, lime juice, and oat milk.
- Process/blend until smooth.
- Build your tacos with the oven-roasted cauliflower bites, slaw mixture, and avocado crema. Garnish with chopped cilantro if desired.
2 thoughts on “Street Tacos with Cauliflower Bites”
As usual. Every time of thinking “what am I going to fix for the family” I turn to your recipes. I have learned to bake my cauliflower as well as my broccoli. There is also a Natural Foods close by. Thanks Cindy💖
So glad you like the recipes! Vegetables are easy and yummy:)