As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
These easy vegan brownies are oil-free but have all the moisture and flavor…without the added oil. This recipe uses applesauce instead of oil and eggs. You won’t miss either though in this moist, flavorful and chocolatey delicious brownie! Use vegan chocolate chips and add in chopped walnuts for a satisfying vegan brownie.
I love a good brownie. I do. But what I don’t always love is all the fat and oil. This vegan brownie uses applesauce instead of eggs and oil – but honestly, you would never know that! Take one bite and see for yourself how moist and delicious they are.
Be aware this brownie is not fat-free though because the recipe calls for vegan chocolate chips (affiliate link) which you will definitely want! And optional chopped walnuts – which give these brownies a satisfying extra crunch.
Ingredients Needed for Oil-Free Vegan Brownies:
There is a printable recipe card if you scroll down that will give you exact ingredients with measurements. Take a look though to see what you will need to make this recipe.
- unsweetened applesauce
- apple cider vinegar
- all-purpose flour
- unsweetened cocoa powder
- sugar (white)
- baking powder and baking soda
- vegan chocolate chips (affiliate link)
Pin now to save for later:
What kind of chocolate chips are vegan?
Great question! And you might not even need to buy special “vegan” chips. Just read the back of your label. Chocolate chips are pretty straight forward, they will either contain dairy or they won’t. Since dairy is an allergen, in the USA by law it has to state so on the ingredient list.
I have found a brand I really like though – Enjoy Life. I get it from Amazon in a two pack. You can find the link for vegan chocolate chips here.
Can we make vegan brownies oil-free?
If you make these brownies, I think you’ll definitely see that yes you can! The applesauce adds in the needed moisture and you don’t need oil at all!
But do these brownies taste like applesauce?
Nope! They taste like brownies – maybe a little lighter tasting? But definitely not like applesauce.
Tips and Tricks for Making a Delicious Oil- Free Vegan Brownie with Applesauce:
- First, mix together the applesauce, vanilla, and apple cider vinegar and set aside.
- Then mix the dry ingredients and set aside.
- Make sure the dry ingredients are fully mixed, including breaking up the cocoa powder.
- If your walnuts are not chopped, you can either do it by hand – or use this handy counter-top chopper. (Affiliate link)
I like this one because I can just keep it on my countertop in the corner till I need to use it.. No cupboard stuffer here!
Dump the applesauce mixture as well as the (optional) nuts and chocolate chips into the dry ingredients all at once. With a mixing spoon, stir until dry ingredients are fully moistened. Do not over-mix.
What size pan should be used to make applesauce egg-free brownies?
I recommend using an 8×8 pan for these brownies. A 9×9 would work as well, but they are just the right amount of thickness when cooked in an 8×8 pan. I use this silicone pan I found on Amazon. I really like it because of the rigid top. I can still hold it firm, yet easily pop the brownies out when cooled and cut.
Read On For Some Useful Pro Tips!
- Sprinkle some chocolate chips and walnuts on top before baking for a Pinterest-finished look.
- Place the smaller brownie pan on a larger baking sheet for ease in taking out of the oven.
- For the best texture, allow these oil-free brownies to cool before cutting. You can cut them right in the pan and pop them out. If using a soft flexible silicone like mine, cut with a dull butter knife or use a small spatula instead of a knife and just cut into the brownies.
- Unlike my Fudgiest Vegan Fudge Brownies which actually improve in flavor and texture over a couple of days, these brownies are best when they are freshest – so go ahead and eat them now!
The Recipe For Oil-Free Vegan Brownies with Applesauce:
I hope you enjoy the recipe, but don’t say good-bye! Sign-up here for recipe tips and kitchen wisdom. I also invite you to email me with any questions you have. When you become a part of the Veggie Fun Kitchen Community, you’ll learn to cook great tasting recipes the whole family will enjoy! (No spam here! I will never share your email, and you can unsubscribe whenever you want!)
Oil-Free Vegan Brownies with ApplesauceMade with applesauce instead of oil and eggs, these vegan brownies are moist, and full of flavor. They are vegan and so naturally egg-free and dairy-free.Print Pin RatePrep Time: 7 minutesCook Time: 25 minutesTotal Time: 32 minutesServings: 12Calories: 137kcal
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1½ teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup vegan chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts optional
- preheat oven to 350° and prepare pan by spritzing with cooking spray. I even lightly spritz my silicone pan.
- In a small bowl, mix together applesauce, vanilla, and apple cidar vinegar. Set aside.
- In a larger bowl, mix together flour, sugar, cocoa, baking poweder, cornstarch, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. Set aside.
- Chop walnuts if using and measure out chocolate chips.
- Add applesauce mixture, walnuts and chocolate chips to dry ingredients all at once and stir well to moisten dry ingredients. Do not over-mix.
- Pour into a prepared pan and bake for 25 - 30 minutes. You will know if your brownies are finished becuase the top will be slightly firm when pressing. The toothpick method might also work if you can find an area without chocolate chips on top or in the brownie.
- Allow to cool before cutting.
NutritionCalories: 137kcal | Carbohydrates: 24g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Sodium: 144mg | Potassium: 141mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 14g | Vitamin A: 6IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 46mg | Iron: 1mg