As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
These Italian Potatoes definitely belong in the quick and easy category. They were a natural extension of my Little Potato Meal Hack but I decided to make them a little fancier. They are plant-based, oil free, gluten-free, and of course vegan.
My original meal hack with The Little Potato Company included only 3 servings but was a quick and easy meal I could throw together at the spur of the moment. I doubled this and added some zucchini and pasta sauce and now have 7 servings.
These Italian Potatoes are still quick and easy – 15 minutes from start to finish. I gave the potatoes an Italian flair using cannellini beans, a little pasta sauce, and my Vegan Cashew Parmesan Cheese sprinkled on top.
Since we are doubling this recipe, go ahead and microwave these potatoes in batches – 5 minutes for each package, so 10 minutes total. You’ll need this time to prep the other ingredients anyway.
While the potatoes are steaming in the microwave, cut two zucchinis into bite-sized pieces and cook in a sauté pan lined with vegetable broth to keep the pan from sticking. There is no reason to use oil in this dish.
I used Mexican gray squash. This is my go-to substitute for zucchini. If you don’t know Mexican gray squash, you owe it to yourself to give it a try. You’ll want to cook the squash till just al dente – not mushy.
When both containers of potatoes have finished microwaving, gently toss with the beans, the seasoning packets (that come with the potatoes), zucchini, and about 3 cups of baby spinach.
Put it in a dish, top with your favorite compliant pasta sauce, and sprinkle a little vegan cheese on top.
This meal does particularly well for meal prep. Just put it in individual containers along with the toppings. Microwave each for about 2 minutes when ready to eat. They should be consumed within 5 days.
Here they are in my fridge nice, cozy, and ready to go.
Italian Potatoes (Vegan)
- 2 12 ounce containers Potatoes from the Little Potato Company
- 2 15 ounce cans canneliili beans drained and rinsed
- 2 Mexican Gray Squash, diced you can use zucchini
- 3 cups baby spinach
- pasta sauce to top
- Parmesan Cheese with Cashews (Vegan) to garnish
- 1/4 cup vegetable broth to cook with
- One at a time, cook both packages of potatoes in the microwave for five minutes each.
- While the potatoes are cooking, dice squash/zucchini into bite-size pieces.
- Line a sauté pan with vegetable broth. Sauté zucchini for about 3-5 minutes until al dente tender.
- Toss all ingredients together except for pasta sauce and vegan parmesan.
- Put into meal prep containers and top with sauce and cheese. Refrigerate promptly. Can keep for about five days. Microwave for about 2 minutes when ready to eat.