As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
This homemade pasta sauce with artichokes is zesty and delicious! The recipe is easy to make because it uses mostly canned goods with some fresh basil thrown in to make it fresh and so very authentic tasting!
I normally don’t get personal. But I have a confession… I suffer a bit from “imposter syndrome“. You see, I use a lot of canned and commercially prepped food when I cook. And I wonder sometimes if that’s not authentic enough for a food blogger to do. (And forgive me, but I’m rambling a bit today – which I usually try to avoid. You can jump to the recipe if you’d rather.)Jump to Recipe
Is it okay to use canned food in recipes?
I mean – I cook some pretty freakishly fantastic food. Don’t know about that? Check out some of the Veggie Fun Kitchen favorites – like my:
But I use a lot of shortcuts and a lot of cans and packages. And I wonder sometimes if that’s cheating a little bit too much.
I mean, I’m a plant-based food blogger for crying out loud! I should be using fresh veggies that I source from an organic farmer’s market on the night of a new moon – or growing them myself!
But the truth is, I don’t have time for that…
Besides the blog and my family, I work full time as an elementary school teacher. The thought of coming home at the end of a very long day and cooking with fresh food items each and every night exhausts me!
The grand plan for growing my own vegetables…
This year – the year of Covid – with all the extra housebound time I had on my hands, I decided that I would start a garden and grow my own vegetables. I’d lovingly prepare home-cooked meals with homegrown vegetables for my family every night. Hahaha!
Let’s just say that I’ve decided that while I sure can cook, and I sure can eat – I’m an abject failure at growing food! Enjoy this little video I made about a month ago for an Instagram Story. My garden has gone downhill even further since then…
Thank you for your patience with my meanderings! Let’s get on with this super delicious easy pasta sauce recipe that you can make without a lot of heartache and tears – because we use cans!
To make this homemade pasta sauce you will need:
(There is a handy printable recipe card if you scroll down. There you will find all of the exact measurements and complete instructions. But please read more to learn how to make the best and tastiest homemade pasta sauce!)Jump to Recipe
- shallots (or onion of choice)
- garlic (I buy a big bottle of minced garlic and use it all year!)
- Italian seasoning
- fresh basil leaves
- jarred (canned) artichoke hearts
- olive oil (or veggie broth if you choose to cook oil-free)
- canned-fire roasted tomatoes (or diced tomatoes)
- tomato sauce
- soy sauce
- sliced black olives
- a little salt, pepper, and sugar
- vegan parmesan cheese is perfect with this. Try my recipe!
How to make easy and authentic tasting homemade pasta sauce!
Start by chopping the few fresh vegetables you will need to chop. That includes shallots (or your onion of choice), garlic (unless you buy minced garlic like me), and the fresh basil (a must for this recipe). You will also need to drain and quarter the artichoke hearts if you did not buy them that way.
To sauté with oil or not?
I am really trying to eat oil-free. I choose to sauté with veggie broth instead. I line the pan with about a half a cup and carefully watch so that broth doesn’t dry up and the pan burn. However, the recipe is written with oil. Suit yourself. (Look for the green box below for more heathy options.)
Cooking the sauce:
After sautéing the shallots it couldn’t be easier. Just add in the other ingredients – most of which are in cans or bottles, and simmer.
Some delicious add-ons
Do you know what would be delicious with this pasta sauce? Try my:
Health it up! Make this pasta sauce extra healthy by rinsing the oil from the artichoke hearts (if packed in oil) and sautéing the shallots in a little veggie broth till softened instead of oil. You won’t miss it! Serve this pasta sauce over rice or baked potato for a less processed finished meal. Or whole wheat or veggie pasta if that is your choice!
Now your biggest decision is going to be which pasta to spoon this yummy homemade sauce on top of!
And now for the recipe:
Did you love this recipe? Want to share the love? It would thrill me if you could leave five ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ stars and even a comment. Did you know that this will help google to find this recipe when others are looking for something similar? Thanks, Cindy
Easy Homemade Pasta Sauce with Artichoke Hearts
- 1 cup shallots – diced (about 2) Can sub in onion of choice
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasonings
- 10 basil leaves chopped – plus more for garnish
- 7.5 ounces artichoke hearts – chopped jarred/marinated and drained
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 29 ounces fire roasted tomatoes canned
- 15 ounces tomato sauce canned
- 2 Tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 Tablespoon soy sauce
- 2.25 ounces sliced black olives canned, drained
- 1 Tablespoon capers drained
- 3/4 teaspoon sugar
- vegan parmesan optional – see notes
- Slice/dice shallots or onion of choice. Mince garlic or use jarred chopped garlic. Set aside.
- Chop drained artichoke hearts and basil. Set aside.
- Line pan with oil and saute shallots/onions for 3-5 minutes or until tender. Add garlic and Italian seasonings and continue to saute for one minute more or until fragrant.
- Add the chopped basil, artichoke hearts, fire-roasted tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste, soy sauce, black olives, capers, and sugar. Bring to a gentle boil
- Reduce heat to simmer. Continue simmering and stirring occasionally for 30 minutes to allow the flavors to meld and the sauce to reduce some.
- Top your choice of pasta with sauce. Top with vegan parmesan if desired.. See notes for a link to my cashew parmesan.