As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Breakfast Potato Hash feels like it should be served for a special occasion breakfast, but only looks complicated! Save some time the “morning of” by having the recipe components prepped the night before. It is plant-based, and vegan. This recipe uses the time-saving procedure of precooking the potatoes and, in fact, is just like my Oven Baked Crispy Potato Wedges.
The recipe also uses a precooked vegan sausage. I like to use my Sausage Tofu Crumbles. They are plant-based, oil free and tasty, giving a hint of sausage without an overpowering taste like so many vegan sausages do. So grab the recipe here. You can make the Sausage Tofu Crumbles a few days ahead of time. Putting it altogether, you can smother the breakfast potato hash in ketchup, but we love my Smoky Tomato Tahini Sauce. The tomato flavor is subtle but there. The combination of the potato seasonings, sausage tofu, and smoky tomato tahini sauce comes together to make one delicious dish.
The secret to making a crispy on the outside and creamy on the inside oven “fried” potato dish is to pre-cook your potatoes till not quite done. In this recipe we boil the bite-sized potato pieces for 7-10 minutes until just fork tender. You want to be careful to not over cook or they will be too mushy.
While the potatoes are boiling you can prep the dry ingredients into a small bowl.
In the past, I just threw the dry ingredients in the larger bowl I planned to use to mix the potatoes in, but I’ve found it’s best to carefully add the boiled potatoes and the dry ingredients gradually in layers. The pre-cooked potatoes are somewhat delicate and it’s too easy to get overzealous in your mixing and mash them up. So go ahead and mix your dry ingredients into a separate bowl. Then when it’s time, carefully add a half the potatoes to a large mixing bowl, sprinkle half the dry ingredients on top and then repeat. Carefully mix.
If I’m smart and plan ahead, I have my onions and peppers already chopped the night before. Otherwise, speedy fast chop these while your potatoes are boiling.
Carefully turn your potatoes and chopped vegetables onto a silicone baking sheet or baking sheet prepared with parchment paper. Carefully mix around. Here is where I cheat a little. I do spritz a little oil on top so that the potatoes will better brown in the oven. If you are avoiding oil, skip this step. You potatoes will still be plenty flavorful and crisp – just not as brown.
Bake in a 380° oven for about 30-35 minutes or until browned and somewhat crispy. Take out of the oven and add the precooked vegan sausage on top. You will want this cut or crumbled into small pieces. If you use my Sausage Tofu Crumbles, that step will already be done for you. Put back in the oven for 5 minutes or until the sausage is heated through.
Put on a plate and top with the Smoky Tomato Tahini Sauce (or ketchup) and a little salt and pepper to taste.
Breakfast Potato Hash
- 4 potatoes white
- 1 cup red bell pepper diced
- 1 cup yellow onion diced
- 1 Tablespoon flour
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 Tablespoon Italian herbs
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper finely ground
- spritz olive oil optional
- 16 ounces Sausage Tofu Crumbles
- 1 cup Smoky Tomato Tahini Sauce
- Preheat oven to 380°.
- Boil a large pot of salted water.
- Wash and dice potatoes. Put into boiling water and boil for 7-10 minutes or until just barely fork-tender.
- While potatoes are boiling, dice onions and peppers. Set aside.
- While potatoes are boiling, prepare dry ingredients in a small bowl.
- When potatoes are just barely fork-tender, drain and run under cold water to stop cooking.
- Carefully layer into a large mixing bowl along with dry ingredients. Gently toss to coat.
- Turn onto a silicone baking sheet along with diced vegetables.
- This step is optional - but spritz with a little olive oil before putting in oven.
- Bake at 380° for 30-35 minutes or until a little browned and crips. Pull out of the oven.
- Top with Sausage Tofu Crumbles - or precooked vegan sausage pieces of your choice. Return to oven for about 5 minutes till sausage is just heated.
- Put on a dish and top with ketchup or Smoky Tomato Tahini Sauce.