These oven baked potato wedges, made without oil, are crispy on the outside but tender on the inside. The secret is pre-boiling the cut potatoes till almost fork tender, then giving them a flour/seasoning toss before baking in the oven.
Start by cutting your potatoes in a wedge as uniformly as possible.
Then put in a pot of boiling water and cook for about ten minutes or until just barely soft. Test with a fork; you don’t want the fork to actually be able to go through the potato.
Dredge in a mixture of flour and seasonings before baking and then place in a single layer on a baking sheet.
Since you won’t be using oil, a silicone baking sheet works best. If you do not have one then you will need to prepare your pan with a cooking spray.
Unless you are trying to go totally oil free, then spritz with a little oil spray to help with browning.
You can just eat these as fries or use as a base for potato dishes such as my Potato Nachos (Vegan).
Oven Baked Crispy Potato Wedges
- 4 russet potatoes medium
- 1 Tablespoon flour
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 Tablespoon Italian Herbs
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fine ground black pepper
- oil spritz optional
- Preheat oven to 380° f
- In a medium-sized pot, boil water.
- Prepare baking sheet with parchment paper, silicone baking mat or spray with cooking spray.
- Leaving skins on, cut washed potatoes into as uniform wedges as possible.
- Carefully place in boiling water. Using a fork, start checking in about 7-10 minutes. You don't want them to be too soft. They should be almost fork tender. quickly drain and run under cold water to stop the cooking process.
- While potatoes are boiling, combine all other dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Carefully toss the potatoes into the dry mixture, coating as well as possible.
- Put in a single layer on your prepared baking sheet. Optional: spritz with a little cooking spray. This will help brown them better. If you are trying to eat oil free then skip this step.
- Bake at 380° for about 30 minutes till just browned and crispy. Let cool slightly before eating.