Enjoy the authentic taste of our oven baked-sausage tofu crumbles, skillfully prepared with extra firm tofu and an array of aromatic seasonings, including fennel seed, Italian herbs, garlic, and onion powders. You’ll taste the delectable flavors of sausage, expertly recreated in a plant-based masterpiece. Savor every spoonful of our mouthwatering sausage-flavored tofu crumbles, a perfect addition to pizza, salads, veggies, and more!
This recipe for Vegan Sausage Tofu Crumbles only looks and tastes like sausage. It is 100% plant-based and oil-free too! When tofu is pressed and seasoned, it takes on the flavor of any seasoning or spice you mix in with it. The Sausage Tofu Crumbles are light enough in flavor and seasoning that you know you aren’t getting the “fake” vegan meats that are full of oil and sometimes just a little…weird.
Tofu crumbles add in a whole food plant based meaty nugget of flavor to your favorite recipes. Sprinkle on top of salads, pizza, or baked potatoes. They aren't the main even of your meal but a tasty add-on that will have them begging for more!
If I’m not in the mood for sausage flavor on top of my pizza, I make classic pepperoni tofu crumbles. For a chopped salad, there is nothing like bbq flavored tofu crumbles sprinkled on top and drizzled with jalapeno ranch dressing!
Ingredients needed to make the sausage tofu crumbles recipe:
- extra firm tofu – You will be pressing the tofu before seasoning and cooking it. Pressing the moisture out of the tofu gives it a better texture.
- tahini paste – tahini gives this dish a savory taste and “full-mouth taste”. Tahini is ground sesame seeds and really is a staple in a plant-based kitchen. It is considered a healthy fat (check your label to make sure it only contains sesame seeds and no added oil). You will see some oil on the top when you open your jar. Don’t worry. That’s the natural oil from the sesame seeds
- Vegetable Broth –
- Low Sodium Soy Sauce
- Coconut Palm Sugar – Can sub in other sugar if that is what you have
- nutritional yeast – Adds to the savory umami flavor
- a WHOLE BUNCH of seasonings including smoked paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, fennel seeds, dried oregano, Italian herb blend, salt, pepper, a little cayenne pepper
- It would also be helpful if you had a tofu press.
How to make sausage tofu crumbles
The exact ingredients with measurements can be found in the recipe card below along with more concise abbreviated instructions. Read on for more details, tips, and tricks so that you will feel confident making this recipe.
Step 1: Press the tofu
Use a tofu press to squeeze the moisture from the extra firm tofu. The more moisture you are able to squeeze out, the better the texture your tofu will be. Thirty minutes in a tofu press should do the trick.
If you don’t have a tofu press you can do it the old-fashioned way by putting the block of tofu between two plates and placing something very heavy on top. This will take up to two hours though and is not included in the timing on the recipe card below.
Step 2: Mix the seasonings
Each tofu crumbles recipe is seasoned just right to emulate a certain meaty flavor. Taco tofu crumbles are flavored with commercial taco seasoning and paprika. And you won’t believe the flavors and seasonings in Korean BBQ tofu crumbles. So good!
Yes, we know they aren’t meat. They aren’t meant to be meat, but only add a hint of flavor to your plant-based meals. The seasonings in sausage tofu crumbles honestly taste like how I remember sausage tasting. It’s almost magic.
So let’s get started… While the tofu is being pressed you should preheat the oven and mix the seasonings.
Press the fennel seeds
To get the full flavor effect for your vegan sausage, put the seeds between wax or parchment paper and crush slightly to release the oils. Crushed fennel smells a little bit like licorice!
Don’t worry, your tofu sausage won’t taste like licorice! Releasing the oils from the fennel seeds might be extra work, but the results are worth it.
Step 3: Crumble the pressed tofu and mix
Crumble the tofu by hand into your bowl of already mixed ingredients. It takes a few minutes but hand-crumbling will give you the best-size crumble that looks more “natural” than if you just cut it into small pieces
Mix together the pressed crumbled tofu with the other ingredients. Stir well so that all of the little tofu pieces are well covered.
Step 4: Baking the Tofu
You will be baking the tofu crumbles in a 375° oven for 35-45 minutes. But there is an important procedure you MUST follow!
You must open the oven and stir and turn the tofu at 15 minutes and then at 30 minutes. Move the more dried outer edges to the center and the centerpieces out to the edges. After 30 minutes, check every two minutes to make sure it’s not drying out too much.
The tofu crumbles are done when the little pieces are a little browned and somewhat dried. Note: The Sausage Tofu Crumbles will not brown as much as they would if they were really sausage and while they are crispy and so have a slightly chewy texture – for tofu – they don’t have an actual chewy meaty texture- because lucky for us this is a clean and cruelty-free dish! No “real” sausage included:)
How to Use Sausage Tofu Crumbles
You might be wondering what you can do with these super delicious tofu crumbles. Well…besides eating them with a spoon. If you can actually stop eating these tasty morsels, you can use tofu Crumbles in dishes like my Breakfast Potato Hash, as a topping on pizza, veggies, avocado toast, potatoes, or pasta. These sausage tofu crumbles are also a major ingredient in my Italian Stuffed Zucchini boat recipe. In our house, we may or may not sometimes just eat them with a spoon…
If you liked these Vegan Sausage Tofu Crumbles then you should try my Trail Mix Tofu Crumbles! They are salty-sweet, full of flavor, and great to use as a topping too! Or, for a plant-based topping or filler for Mexican dishes, try my Tofu Taco Crumbles. For a tofu crumble recipe that adds in a savory-sweet bacony flavor, try my Tofu Bacon Bits recipe. It’s so good!
Recipe for Sauage Tofu Crumbles:
Did you love this recipe?
Want to share the love? It would be great if you could leave five ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ stars and even a comment. Did you know that this will help Google to find this recipe when others are looking for something similar? Thanks, Cindy
Oven-Baked Sausage Tofu Crumbles with Extra Firm Tofu
- 16 ounces tofu extra firm
- 2 Tablespoons tahini
- 2 Tablespoons soy sauce low sodium
- 1 Tablespoon vegetable broth
- 1 Tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1 Tablespoon coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian herb blend
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper less or more to taste
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Press and drain the tofu, pouring off liquid as necessary. This will take about 10 minutes using a tofu press. If pressing between plates with weights, it might take up to an hour.
- Crush the fennel seeds to release the flavor. You can place them between wax paper and press or use a rolling pin. Use the crushed fennel seeds in the next step.
- While the oven is preheating and tofu is pressing, stir together all other ingredients into a medium-large sized mixing bowl.
- When tofu is fully pressed and drained, crumble into small pieces directly into the mixing bowl with other ingredients. Toss and stir to evenly coat.2 Tablespoons tahini, 2 Tablespoons soy sauce, 1 Tablespoon vegetable broth, 1 Tablespoon nutritional yeast, 1 Tablespoon coconut sugar, 1 teaspoon smoked paprika, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, 1 teaspoon onion powder, 1 teaspoon fennel seeds, 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano, 1/2 teaspoon Italian herb blend, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Turn onto a silicone baking sheet – or baking sheet covered with parchment paper and put in the oven for 35-45 minutes, checking at intervals (see next instruction).
- After putting in the oven, set the timer for 15 minutes. Open the oven and turn and stir, moving the more dry tofu on the outer edges to the center and the center out to the outer edges. Put back in the oven and check again in 15 minutes.
- After stirring the second time, put back in the oven and check every 2 minutes for 5-10 minutes. This tends to dry out fast. It will be done when it’s a little browned and dried.