Raw Carrot Salad with Edamame is my version of the viral salad with a higher protein, Asian-flavored twist. Made with shelled edamame you can buy frozen at your grocers’, a little soy sauce, olive and sesame oils, seasoned rice vinegar, and red pepper flakes, this raw carrot salad is tasty, nutritious, and super quick and easy to make!
This raw carrot salad is my version of the viral Tiktok carrot salad that everyone is talking about. Unlike the Tiktokers, I make no health benefits claims. They can get really crazy on social media!
If you are to believe everything you hear, when you eat raw carrot salad you detox excess estrogen and balance hormones. The purported hormonal health benefits of raw carrots just go on and on! Like we haven’t been eating raw carrots for years?
Well… I’m not a health expert nor a dietitian but a home cook like you. So instead, I’ll just promise a really flavorful crunchy raw carrot salad with a little extra protein that you will love!
Today I enjoyed my raw carrot salad with my favorite Olive Oil Herb Bread! A quick and easy bread to make is my Herbed Garlic Beer Beer Bread. This crunchy raw salad would also be super yummy when served alongside one of my favorite vegan soups like my (almost) famous Veggie Lentil Soup!
Pin now to save for later:
Ingredients needed to make my raw carrot salad recipe
- raw carrots – You are going to need a few carrots to yield about one and a half cups of thinly sliced carrots. See the photo below, but it’s really pretty impossible to use every bit of the carrot as you are whittling it down.
- shelled edamame – You need shelled edamame for this carrot salad recipe. I buy a frozen package of already shelled edamame and then just thaw it quickly in the microwave (or by setting it on the counter if I remember in time).
- green onion chopped – You need to slice/chop the green stem part of one to two green onions.
- seasoned rice vinegar – The seasoned rice vinegar is super flavorful because it has a little added salt and sugar. We don’t use much though so do not worry too much about getting an overabundance of unhealthy add-on ingredients. Some raw carrot salad recipes call for apple cider vinegar. The flavor of this particular recipe is Asian-inspired so use the seasoned rice vinegar, please!
- olive oil and sesame oil – Other raw carrot salad recipes call for coconut oil or only olive oil. You could sub in coconut oil if you’d prefer, but please don’t leave out the sesame oil! You’ll need it for the flavor infusion.
- soy sauce – Some other recipes use lemon or lime juice for a kick of flavor. This recipe uses a little soy sauce for its flavor kick.
- just a pinch of red pepper flakes – Just a little pinch will do to add a subtle layer of heat. If you absolutely can’t deal with the tiny bit of heat then leave them out.
- optional: more red pepper flakes, salt and pepper, more sliced green onions, sesame seeds
How to make your own tasty raw carrot salad
The exact ingredients with measurements can be found in the recipe card below along with more concise abbreviated instructions. Read on for more details, tips, and tricks so that you will feel confident making this recipe.
Steps 1-3: Prepare the vegetables
Peel the carrots and thaw the edamame if purchased frozen. Slice the green tops from one or two stalks of green onions.
With the vegetable peeler, continue to “peel” the carrots making paper-thin slices. Do this until you have one and a half cups of thin verticle carrot slices.
I will just say that there is no way you are going to be able to slice the entire carrot with a peeler. You WILL have some skinny little pieces left over.
Waste not want not at Veggie Fun Kitchen! Just toss the unused carrot portions in a plastic freezer bag and save them for making your own vegetable stock from scratch!
Add the sliced carrots, edamame, and chopped green onions to a bowl.
Step 4: Toss together the dressing and salad
Whisk together the olive oil, sesame oil, seasoned rice vinegar, soy sauce, and red pepper flakes. Add the dressing to the bowl with the vegetables and toss together.
Final step: Garnish and serve
I like to sprinkle some sesame seeds on this Asian fusion-flavored raw salad. If you crave more heat, then add extra red pepper flakes along with some salt and pepper to taste. A few more sliced green onions add extra zing!
This carrot salad should be consumed within a day so that those thin carrot shreds remain crispy and fresh!
The printable recipe card
Did you love this recipe?
Want to share the love? It would be great if you could leave five ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ stars and even a comment. Did you know that this will help Google to find this recipe when others are looking for something similar? Thanks, Cindy
Raw Carrot Salad with Edamame
- vegetable peeler
- 3-4 carrots about one and a half cups prepared
- ½ cups edamame shelled
- 2 Tablespoons green onion chopped
- 1 Tablespoon seasoned rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon sesame oil
- ½ teaspoon soy sauce
- pinch red pepper flakes
- optional more red pepper flakes, salt and pepper, more sliced green onions, sesame seeds
- Peel the carrots and thaw the edamame if purchased frozen. Slice the green tops from one or two stalks of green onions.
- With the vegetable peeler, continue to "peel" the carrots making paper-thin slices. Do this until you have one and a half cups of thin verticle carrot slices.
- Add the sliced carrots, edamame, and chopped green onions to a bowl.
- Whisk together the olive oil, sesame oil, seasoned rice vinegar, soy sauce, and red pepper flakes. Add the dressing to the bowl with the vegetables and toss together.
- Garnish will optional sesame seeds, more red pepper flakes, chopped green onion, and salt and pepper if desired. Serve immediately.