As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Classic Texas caviar made easy with canned beans and pre-chopped vegetables. Toss with bottled zesty Italian dressing for a quick, easy, and flavorful topping, or condiment, or dip.
For some other delicious plant-based condiments and toppings click on the links:
Have you ever been to Texas? We had the privilege of living there for a short time when my husband was transitioning to a new career some years ago. And it’s no lie – texas is full of BIG! Big wide open roads, smiles, and hearts!
Just like this Easy Texas Caviar which is big on flavor but stress-free and easy on your time.
To navigate this post just click on the links below:
- For some other delicious plant-based condiments and toppings click on the links:
- Pin now to save for later
- To make this easy texas caviar you will need:
- How to turn this recipe into the easiest Texas caviar you will make!
- The printable recipe card
Pin now to save for later
To make this easy texas caviar you will need:
- chopped onion – your favorite variety
- chopped green bell pepper
- sliced green onion
- sliced jalapenos (see below about using pickled/jarred)
- minced garlic
- halved cherry tomatoes
- canned kidney beans
- canned black-eyed peas
- Zesty Italian Dressing (if vegan or vegetarian ensure it does not contain parmesan cheese)
- ground coriander
- chopped cilantro
- salt and pepper to taste
How to turn this recipe into the easiest Texas caviar you will make!
Remember that I promised ease? Well if you are willing to use pre-chopped vegetables, your work is almost done! Some of the ingredients in this recipe can be found pre-chopped in your grocer’s produce department. If you are short on time – or energy, this is the perfect way to throw together an easy dish. (For full flavor you will still need to chill for 2 hours.)
Also, be aware that most of these pre-chopped veggies will come in plastic containers. So the choice is yours. But if you are short on time, here are the vegetables that can usually be sourced pre-chopped:
- onion – you will use about 1 cup or 1/2 of a med/large onion
- bell pepper – these often come chopped in containers with all three colors. That’s fine – just toss them in. The more colors, the merrier
- jalapenos – did you know you could buy them presliced in jars? You can even find “tamed” jalapenos which happen to work best for my family. You will need about 20 slices.
- garlic – yes, I have a big jar of minced garlic. Unless you are a garlic purist, this will save you a lot of time, and NO, the taste in this dish will not be affected as there are many flavors there already.
- Of course, buy the canned black-eyed peas and kidney beans. We don’t have time to soak and cook! (Unless you actually do…)
Just add the chopped veggies (except the cilantro) and beans to a medium/large bowl, pour on the Italian dressing and give it all a toss.
Don’t forget to top with the chopped cilantro. AFTER is has chilled in the refrigerator for two hours. It couldn’t be any easier!
Some other optional ingredients you can add to make this texas caviar extra special:
- fire-roasted corn (found in the frozen section)
- diced avocado (add after it has been in the refrigerator for two hours)
- pepitas (sprinkled on top before serving)
For the best flavor, allow to sit in fridge for a couple of hours. The flavors will mix and you will have yourself a flavorful and delicious topping that you didn’t have to spend all day fixing!
The printable recipe card
Did you love this recipe? Want to share the love? It would thrill me if you could leave ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ stars and even a comment. Did you know that this will help google to find this recipe when others are looking for something similar? Thanks, Cindy
Easy Texas Caviar
- 1 cup yellow onion chopped, can sub white or red
- 1 green bell pepper chopped
- 1 bunch green onion sliced
- 1 pint cherry tomaotes halved
- 2 jalapenos sliced, see notes
- 1/2 teaspoon corriander
- 15 ounce canned kidney beans drained and rinsed
- 15 ounce canned black-eyed peas drained and rinsed
- 1 cup Italian Dressing zesty
- 1 bunch cilantro chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- Chop and cut the vegetables.
- Drain and rinse the canned beans.
- Combine all ingredients except for the cilantro.
- Cover and chill in the refriderator for two hours.
- Add the chopped cilanntro and enjoy!