As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
You might think you are eating brownie batter – but surprise, you are really eating hummus – made with black beans! This black bean brownie batter hummus is vegan, oil-free, and plant-based. This dessert hummus is made with black beans (of course!) peanut butter, agave, tahini, and cocoa powder.
Black beans are incredibly good for you because they are full of fiber and protein; but here is the best part: you won’t even know there are beans in the black bean brownie batter hummus…and neither will your kids!
Use a high speed blender or food processor to make the hummus. If you have a food processor it’s probably best to use that. It is doable in a high speed blender, however, you will need to scrape and stir part way through. Under no circumstances should you try to make this black bean brownie batter hummus in a regular blender as your hummus might be chunky and there is a risk you might burn your blender out.
Drain and rinse the black beans and put them into your blender or food processor. Add the peanut butter, agave, cocoa powder, tahini, salt, vanilla, and plant milk of your choice. The recipe calls for 2-3 Tablespoons of plant milk. Start with the lower number and add more as necessary; however, if you need to add more plant milk then add by the teaspoon.
If you have a peanut butter allergy, feel free to substitute sunflower butter.
Tahini is sesame paste and is used in traditional hummus for a deep rich flavor. I also use it in my dessert hummus recipes to give a deep flavor and to give a “mouth feel” that one might miss when the recipe is oil-free. If you don’t have hummus then this will still taste super yummy!
If you are using a high-speed blender, you might need to pause to scrape the side and mix it up a little.
This hummus is so rich, you only need a little bit – a little really does go a long way! Dip crackers or fruit. Spread on a waffle or toast. If you like cookie dough, you should try my Cookie Dough Hummus too:)
Black Bean Brownie Batter Hummus
- 1 15 ounce can black beans drain and rinse
- 1/4 cup peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon tahini
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup agave nectar use more to taste
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 Tablespoons plant milk of choice start with 2 T and add more
- Drain and rinse black beans and add to a high speed blender or food processor.
- Add all other ingredients. (See instruction about plant milk below.)
- Start with 2 T of plant milk and add more if necessary. If your hummus is especially thick and you need to add more than the 2-3 Tablespoons then add by teaspoon.
- If you are using a high speed blender, you will probably need to stop part way through to scrape the batter down.
- Serve with fruit, crackers, or cookies. Remember that this is very rich and a little goes a long ways.