As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Crisp and flavorful, this colorful purple cabbage slaw is delicious and so easy to whip up. It’s made with a savory/sweet miso vinegar dressing and is oil-free. Serve as a side dish, as part of a Buddha Bowl, or in a sandwich or wrap.
Have you checked out the Miso Eggplant recipe from The Vegan ABCs Cookbook I have posted on the blog? This purple cabbage slaw was 100% developed and inspired from that recipe. I was actually looking for something pretty and colorful to photograph alongside the eggplant and happened to have a head of purple cabbage in my fridge. Perfect! I just used the same ingredients for the dressing as called for in the miso eggplant recipe and came up with this very colorful tasty cabbage salad.
For some other tasty plant-based salads try my:
- Red Wine Vinegar Coleslaw with Peanuts
- Easy Vegan Italian Pasta Salad
- Asian Inspired Pasta Salad with Peanuts
- Veggie Salad with Smooth Tahini Dressing
Navigate this post
Pin now to save for later
Ingredients needed to make purple cabbage slaw:
- For the miso dressing you will need:
- apple cider vinegar
- mirin (or seasoned rice vinegar)
- tamari sauce (or low sodium soy sauce)
- white miso paste
- light tasting oil such as avocado oil (optional)
- For the slaw:
- purple cabbage, shredded
- apple, chopped
- carrots, shredded
- edamame, shelled
- pomegranate seeds
- green onions (scallions), sliced
How to make this flavorful, delicious purple cabbage slaw
First, mix the ingredients for the dressing and set aside. The miso paste is quite thick and won’t be easy to just whisk in. Use a spoon or small sturdy spatula to break it up and incorporate into the other dressing ingredients. Set aside while you prepare the slaw ingredients.
Next, prepare the ingredients for the slaw. Chop the apple and slice the scallions. Shred the carrots or buy them pre-shredded.
Buy the edamame already shelled. I buy mine frozen. Just thaw the frozen edamame by rinsing them under running water for a minute. You can also find pomegranate seeds in the produce departments already seeded and ready to go.
Either buy a couple of bags of shredded purple cabbage or thinly slice about one-half head of cabbage.
Put all of the slaw ingredients in a large bowl. Pour on the already prepared miso vinegar dressing and toss together. Taste and add in a little salt and pepper to flavor if desired.
I have kept this purple cabbage slaw tightly covered in my refrigerator for five days. Somehow the apples don’t brown and everything still tastes fresh and delicious.
Serve as a side dish like I did with the Miso Eggplant recipe. Make the cabbage slaw part of a Buddha bowl. It’s already quite flavorful but sometimes I like to drizzle a little sauce on top like my Jalapeno Ranch Dressing, Creamy Sriracha Sauce, Vegan Honey Mustard Dressing, or Creamy Miso Dressing (coming soon.)
The printable recipe card for Purple Cabbage Slaw with Miso Vinegar Dressing
Did you love this recipe? Want to share the love? It would thrill me to no end if you could leave five ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ stars and even a comment. Did you know that this will help google to find this recipe when others are looking for something similar? Thanks, Cindy
Purple Cabbage Slaw with Miso Vinegar Dressing, Oil-Free
Miso Vinegar Dressing
- 2 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon mirin can sub seasoned rice vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon tamari can sub low sodium soy sauce
- 1 Tablespoon white miso paste
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- 1 Tablespoons optional oil light tasting like avocado
- 6 cups shredded purple cabbage can use bagged cabbage or make your own
- 1 apple chopped
- 1 cup carrot shredded
- 1 cup edamame shelled
- ⅓ cup pomegranate seeds
- 1 bunch green onions sliced
- salt and pepper to taste
- Mix together all the ingredients for the miso sauce including apple cider vinegar, mirin, tamari, miso paste, maple syrup, and optional oil (if using). You will need to break up the miso with a spoon or spatula and incorporate it into the other liquid ingredients. Set aside.
- Prepare the vegetables. shred/slice the red cabbage thinly, grate the carrots, dice the apple, and slice the green onions. To save time I often used bagged red cabbage and shredded carrots. Thaw the edamame (if frozen) by placing in a strainer under running water.
- Put all vegetable ingredients and apple into a medium-sized bowl. This includes the shredded cabbage, diced apple, shredded carrot, edemame, pomegranate seeds, and sliced green onions.
- Pour the prepared miso vinegar dressing over the slaw ingredients and mix well. Salt and pepper to taste.
- This will keep, tightly covered, in your refrigerator, for 5 days.