As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
This Hawaiian Burger is a veganized version of the recipe 50 Ways to Leave Your Guava from the Bob’s Burgers Burger Book.
Layered with guava bbq sauce, vegan bacon and burger, a grilled pineapple slice, and fresh lettuce; it’s just like you might find at Bob’s Burgers – only veganized.
What is “Bob’s Burgers”?
This vegan burger recipe with pineapple, guava bbq sauce, and (vegan) bacon, was adapted from the cookbook “The Bob’s Burgers Burger Book: Real Recipes for Joke Burgers” written by Loren Bouchard and available on Amazon.
You don’t know what Bob’s Burger is, you say? Bob’s Burgers is a long-running P-13ish family sitcom cartoon that currently runs on the FOX network, can be watched on Adult Swim, and Hulu.
The show is about Bob and his family who run a burger joint (Bob’s Burgers) which features some pretty unique burger combinations – a different one of which is featured each day on the “burger of the day” marquee.
The Bob’s Burgers Burger Book includes recipes for around 70 of these one-of-a-kind burgers along with notes naming the episode the burger was featured on.
To make this vegan burger recipe, you will need:
(There is a handy printable recipe card below if you continue scrolling. On this recipe card, you will find exact measurements and directions. Please read through the following sections to learn more about Bob’s Burgers and tips for making this Hawaiian Burger – vegan style.Jump to Recipe
You will need:
- vegan burger of choice – either
- a store-bought burger like Beyond, Impossible, or Tofurkey
- OR a homemade plant-based burger like my Sweet Potato Black Bean Burger
- vegan bacon of choice – I like Lite Life
- OR a homemade vegan bacon of choice like my Tofu Bacon Crumbles or
- a tofu bacon strip like the Tofu Bacon from A Plantiful
- Your choice of a hamburger or sandwich bun
- butter leaf lettuce
- pineapple rings
- guava jelly or jam – I found this really delicious guava jam on Amazon
- tomato paste
- ginger paste
- vegan Worcestershire sauce – I found the Organics brand at my local grocery store.
- You can also order a bottle of vegan Worcestershire on Amazon
- Or you can make your own. Here is a recipe for Vegan Worchestershire sauce from Karissa’s Vegan Kitchen
Are Bob’s Burger Recipes Vegan?
Nope, they sure aren’t! But that doesn’t mean that we plant-eaters can’t make them vegan:) In fact, I think this book was given to my family a few years ago as a joke – sure, let’s give a burger book to a vegan family... As you can imagine, veganizing a recipe never been a problem in my kitchen!
How to Make this Vegan Burger with Pineapple and Guava Sauce
The fun thing about this burger is the cacophony of intense flavors that just really go together well.
Start by cooking up your plant-based vegan burger of choice and your vegan bacon.
Don’t forget to throw in the pineapple rings! We used Beyond Burgers for this recipe and grilled them along with the pineapple rings on the outside grill while cooking up the Lite Life bacon indoors in a frying pan.
While the burgers, bacon, and pineapple are cooking you should get your sauce together. Just add all ingredients and stir over medium heat till the guava jelly or jam melts and blends in.
Will the alcohol cook out?
Well, here is the bad news, according to The Food Network, the alcohol isn’t likely to cook off unless you cook this sauce for two hours. Don’t do that! You will have a solid mass of tomato guava goop if you cook this sauce for two hours.
You are only using 1/4 cup of rum in this sauce for four people – so one Tablespoon per person. If this is a concern, then replace the rum with a little veggie broth.
Pin now to save for later:
Putting your Hawaiian Burger together:
Just a little fun fact about this Bob’s Burgers episode:
The Bob’s Burgers Book has about 70 pretty unique burger recipes; and many of them can be adapted to be vegan friendly! Each burger is based on an episode of Bob’s Burgers and is featured on the daily specials marquee in the show. This particular burger is called “50 Ways to Leave Your Guava Burger” and is seen on season 3 episode 10 in which Bob’s wife (Linda) tries desperately to have a bonding session with her daughter Louise. It…doesn’t go well. Enjoy this little preview here:
And now for the recipe:
I hope you enjoy the recipe, but don’t say good-bye! Sign-up here for recipe tips and kitchen wisdom. I also invite you to email me with any questions you have. When you become a part of the Veggie Fun Kitchen Community, you’ll learn to cook great tasting recipes the whole family will enjoy! (No spam here! I will never share your email, and you can unsubscribe whenever you want!)
Hawaiian Burger (Vegan)
- 4 vegan burger patties
- 8 pieces vegan bacon
- 4 hamburger buns
- butter lettuce
- 4 pineapple rings
Guava BBQ Sauce
- 4 Tablespoons tomato paste
- 10 ounces guava jam or jelly
- 1/4 cup rum I prefer golden
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce see notes
- 1 Tablespoon ginger paste see notes
- Grill, cook, or prepare vegan burger patties according to manufacturers or recipe directions.
- Grill or cook pineapple rings along with burgers.
- Cook bacon according to package or recipe directions
- Wash and dry butter lettuce
- While the burgers are grilling, add Into a medium-sized saucepan combine all sauce ingredients including tomato paste, guava jam, rum, Worcestershire and soy sauces, and ginger paste.
- Cook and stir on medium heat until jam is melted and sauce ingredients are well combined. Set aside and continue to cook burgers and bacon.
- Build your burger by spreading the guava bbq sauce on the inside of each slice of bun. Layer on two pieces of bacon, the burger, pineapple ring, and lettuce. Enjoy
- The nutrition information on this recipe is for amusement only. Depending on the vegan products you purchase or make, the calories and other nutritional information will be way off.
- I have only found the guava jam on Amazon. If you can’t find it at your store and don’t want to wait, you can substitute in another jam or jelly like apricot or peach. It will still be tasty, but the guava jam gives the bbq a very different flavor and is worth waiting for in my opinion.
- Read the recipe post (above) for suggestions on what types of vegan-friendly products or recipes to use.
- Most Worcestershire sauce is not vegan because it contains anchovy paste. Read the blog post (above) for some vegan suggestions.
- If you use ground ginger instead of ginger paste, reduce the amount to one teaspoon of ground ginger.
- The alcohol is not going to cook out in the short amount of time you are heating the sauce. If this is concern for you then sub in some veggie broth instead.