The Best Vegan "Egg" Salad Sandwich with Chickpeas
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes
Make this vegan egg salad sandwich with chickpeas. It has all the classic taste and texture but uses chickpeas instead of eggs. Serve it between two crusty slices of bread. So delicious!
- 15.5 ounce can chickpeas drained
- 1/3 cup vegan mayo
- 1/3 cup celery (1 large stalk) chopped small
- 2 Tablespoons green onion chopped
- 1 teaspoon dill pickle relish
- 1 teaspoon sweet pickle relish
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika sweet, not smoked
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard powder sub 1/2 Tablespoon prepared mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch kala namak black salt more to taste
- 1/3 cup panko bread crumbs more to desired consistency
Drain the chickpeas and put into a medium bowl.
Dice the celery and green onions - the smaller, the better. Add to drained chickpeas.
Add in the vegan mayo, pickles, and seasoning.
With an immersion blender or food processor, mix and smash all the ingredients together.
Mix in the breadcrumbs. Start with 1/3 cup and add in more by the teaspoon till you have your desired consistency.
Start with 1 pinch of the black salt. Add in another pinch if desired. Remember that a little goes a long way. It has a strong sulfur taste and smell.
Allow to sit for about 30 minutes. This will allow the bread crumbs to soften and the flavors to meld.
Serve between two crusty slices of bread or in a lettuce wrap.
The chickpea mixture can be kept in a tightly sealed container in the refrigerator for about 5 days.
Calories: 241kcal | Carbohydrates: 20g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 616mg | Potassium: 180mg | Fiber: 5g | Vitamin A: 225IU | Vitamin C: 0.8mg | Calcium: 49mg | Iron: 1.7mg