Vegan Chili Cheese Sauce (Instant Pot)
This Vegan Chili Cheese Sauce is diary free, oil free and gluten-free. It's made with vegetables and cashews - all the good stuff!
In the Instant Pot (or saucepan for stovetop)
- 1/2 orange bell pepper seeded and roughly chopped
- 1/2 yellow onion, medium roughly chopped
- 1 carrot, large roughly chopped - no need to peel
- 4 yukon gold potatoes, medium roughly chopped - no need to peel
- 1 clove garlic no need to chop
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- 1¼ cup water
In the blender
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast This is different than baker's or brewer's yeast
- 1 Tablespoon Mexican/taco seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons white miso paste
Added after and optional - but tasty
- 1 15.5 ounce can black chili beans (in sauce) un-drained
- 1 Tablespoon Hot Sauce to taste
- 1 4 ounce can green chilis optional
Wash and rough-cut all vegetables. No need to chop garlic clove.
Add all vegetables, cashews, and water to pressure cooker.
Set pressure cooker to high for 5 minutes. After it comes to pressure it will cook for 5 minutes. When done do a quick release.
Cool slightly and transfer entire contents, including liquid, from pot to blender.
Add remaining ingredients except for chili beans and optional items (hot sauce, green chilis, and nacho cheese flavor).
Blend on high speed until sauce is smooth. Only if necessary, add a little unsweetened plant milk to get the right consistency. (If you need it, you will not use more than 1 or 2 Tablespoons.)
Pour into a large bowl. Don't drain chili beans. Stir in. Add other optional ingredients to your desired taste.
Serve warm on Mexican dishes, baked potatoes, nachos, or chili. Use as a dip for chips or vegetables.
Contains Nuts! Safety first. You must disclose that this recipe contains nuts if you serve to anyone as cheese sauce typically does not contain nuts.
Directions for cooking on the stovetop:
- Chop all vegetables and measure out raw cashews.
- Add to a large sized saucepan and cover with water.
- Cook on high until boiling and then turn down to medium.
- Cover and continue gently boiling for about 10 minutes or until the potatoes are fork-tender.
- Reserve out 1 1/4 cups cooking water.
- Using a colander drain out the rest of the water from the vegetables/cashews.
- Add the drained vegetables/cashews along with the reserved 1 1/4 cups water to a high-speed blender along with the rest of the seasonings and continue to follow the directions given in the original (Instant Pot) recipe.
Calories: 98kcal | Carbohydrates: 14g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 3g | Sodium: 314mg | Potassium: 456mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 1205IU | Vitamin C: 19.1mg | Calcium: 31mg | Iron: 3.3mg