Vegan Breakfast Casserole
This special occasion vegan breakfast casserole is made with your favorite vegan sausage, Just Egg, silken tofu, nutritional yeast, and a crusty loaf of bread.
- 5 cups bread cubed *see note for suggestions
Sausage and Vegetables
- 1 cup white or yellow onion chopped
- 1 cup bell pepper - any color chopped
- 2 Tablespoons avocado oil
- 14 ounces vegan sausage of choice *see note about amount
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper *to taste - see recipe note
- 1/2 teaspoon salt *to taste - see recipe note
- 12.3 ounces silken tofu firm
- 2 cups unsweetened plant milk of choice I used cashew
- 24 ounces Just Egg (Egg Replacer) Two 12 ounce bottles
- 1/2 teaspoon black salt *optional - see recipe note
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder for coloring
- 2 Tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 Tablespoon agar agar powder link in notes
- 2 Tablespoons chives more for topping
- 2 cups vegan cheese
- chives for topping
Cube about 5 slices of sourdough bread for a total of 5 cups. Put in a large bowl and set aside.
Grease a 9x13x2 casserole baking dish. I use vegan butter for flavor. You can also spritz with cooking spray.
Sausage and Vegetables
Chop vegetables and saute in a non-stick pan with 2 Tablespoons of oil for about two minutes.
Add in the vegan sausage. Break it up as it is cooking if necessary for a crumbly texture. Continue sauteing for about 6 minutes or as per package directions. Set aside.
This is the time to taste and add salt and cayenne pepper if necessary. Depending on the flavor of the vegan sausage you use, you may or may not want any.
In a mixing bowl, beat together the silken tofu and plant milk until smooth. The silken tofu will still have tiny lumps similar to ricotta cheese. That's okay.
Add in Just Egg, black salt (optional - see note), turmeric powder, mustard powder, agar agar powder (see note), chives, and nutritional yeast. Stir until well mixed.
Along with the sausage mixture, pour over the cubed bread and stir so that all bread pieces are moistened.
Pour into the prepared casserole dish. Cover well and set in the refrigerator for at 8 hours - or overnight.
Baking and Finishing - after 8 hours
Take the refrigerated casserole out and set on the counter for about 30 minutes while the oven is preheating.
Preheat your oven to 325°
Cook uncovered for 1 hour.
Pull out of the oven, and check for doneness. Give is a little jiggle. It should be mostly solid in the middle. It will firm up slightly when sitting. Put back into the oven for up to 10 minutes if it needs a little more time to firm up.
Top with chopped chives. Allow cooling for about 10 minutes before cutting into the casserole. Serve with some fresh fruit for a balanced breakfast.
OPTIONAL: You can sprinkle a little vegan cheese on the top during the last 10 minutes of cooking. The casserole is fine without it. In fact, unless you have a brand of vegan cheese you really enjoy, leave it off.
- Use a crusty loaf of bread with thick slices if available. I have used sourdough and regular bread. I enjoy the taste of both, but the sourdough has a more tangy flavor. Read the nutrition label of the bread for vegan compliance.
- Agar agar is a powder used in vegan baking and cooking. I have only found it online on Amazon (affiliate link). If you don't use it the flavor won't be affected but it might not set up as well. It will actually be a handy ingredient in your vegan pantry and is used in many of the recipes on Veggie Fun Kitchen.
- Silken tofu is not the same as regular tofu. It is usually shelf-stable and is not found in the refrigerated section like regular tofu is. You might find it in an Asian market. I cannot find it at my grocery store and order from Amazon (affiliate link). I've use firm and extra firm silken tofu. That does not matter BUT you MUST use the SILKEN tofu.
- Use any vegan sausage of your choice. The recipe calls for 14 ounces. If your sausage comes in a 16-ounce package, that is fine.
Calories: 207kcal | Carbohydrates: 19g | Protein: 17g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 705mg | Potassium: 327mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 575IU | Vitamin C: 17.4mg | Calcium: 137mg | Iron: 9.8mg