Crunchy BBQ Chickpea Salad Sandwich
- 2 Tablespoons red onion or shallot minced
- 15 ounces canned chickpeas drained
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise vegan
- 1/3 cup barbeque sauce
- 1½ cup coleslaw or shredded cabbage
- 1/4 cup panko bread crumbs
Chop red onion or shallot into very small pieces. Set aside.
Drain the can of chickpeas and put chickpeas into a medium-sized bowl.
Add mayonnaise, barbeque sauce, to bowl.
With an immersion blender or potato masher blend/mash well combining as you go. You will want about 1/4 of the chickpeas left mostly whole so that it will be a little chunky.
Add onion and coleslaw and mix till combined.
Add in the bread crumbs and combine until breadcrumbs are well incorporated.
Serve on a bun, with bread, crackers or as a salad mixture over lettuce.
- Bread or bun of choice is not included in the nutrition facts.
- The calorie and nutrient section is only for reference. Your choice of commercial products is used and the actual calorie count might be different.
- To make this recipe fully whole food plant-based:
- Substitute the commercial barbeque sauce for my Healthy Homemade BBQ Sauce. It's processed sugar free!
- Substitute the commercial mayo for this Tofu Cashew Mayo from A Plantiful Path. It's oil free!
Calories: 337kcal | Carbohydrates: 38g | Protein: 9g | Fat: 17g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 8mg | Sodium: 882mg | Potassium: 337mg | Fiber: 8g | Sugar: 13g | Vitamin A: 127IU | Vitamin C: 13mg | Calcium: 83mg | Iron: 2mg