Marinated Mushrooms with Veggie Wild Rice
Servings: 3 people
Savory mushrooms marinated in an oil-free sauce with balsamic vinegar served over a bed of vegetables and wild rice.
Broiler setting on oven
non-stick saute pan
Marinade for Mushrooms
- 1/3 cup vegetable broth
- 3 Tablespoons Balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano heaping
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley heaping
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper ground
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup wild rice, uncooked can use a wild rice blend
- 4 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
Vegetalbes Including Mushrooms
- 8 ounces smallish mushrooms baby bella or button
- 1/2 cup onion diced
- 1 medium zucchini sliced
- 1 medium red bell pepper seeded and sliced
- 1/2 cup sun dried tomatoes sliced
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth for sauteing
Rinse the wild rice in cold water. Drain well
Bring the salted water and rice to a boil in a medium-sized saucepan.
Reduce to a simmer and cover with a lid.
Continue simmering for 45 minutes. Lift the lid and check your rice. The water should be (mostly) absorbed and the rice slightly chewy. You might notice some have burst open. That's okay. If the rice is too tough to chew, return to the heat for another 10 minutes or so. Don't let the pan run dry. The water should all absorb. If not, then carefully drain what little bit remains.
While the rice is cooking, you can also prepare your vegetables. Set the oven on broil or use the broil function on a toaster over.
Clean and wash the mushrooms and remove the stems.
Add to the marinade and toss well to cover. Let sit in the marinade for 15 minutes. (You can prepare your other vegetables while the mushrooms are marinating. See below.)
Line a baking sheet with foil. Place marinated mushrooms on a prepared baking sheet. Broil for 5 minutes on one side. Then remove from oven, flip with a spatula and continue marinating for another 5 minutes. They will be soft and wrinkly. Remove from oven and set aside.
While the mushrooms are marinating/cooking you can prepare the other vegetables.Dice the onion, slice the zucchini, and red bell pepper. If the sun-dried tomato is not yet slice then go ahead and do that.
Line the bottom of a non-stick saute pan with vegetable broth (about 1/2 cup). Add onions and cook for about 2-3 minutes until they start to soften and turn translucent. Add in the zucchini and red peppers. Continue to saute for another 2 minutes or until vegetables just begin to soften. You should have enough broth in the pan but do check it and add more if necessary.
Turn off heat and add in dried tomatoes. Toss around a little and set aside.
When rice has finished cooking and all the water has absorbed, fluff gently with a fork.
Transfer to a large bowl and add the cooked vegegtables (NOT the mushrooms just yet). Add the remaining liquid from the marinade and toss gently.
Divide the vegetable rice mixture onto plates and top with marinated mushrooms.
This dish is best enjoyed warm but is also really yummy cool or room temperature. If you refrigerate to eat later, warm in microwave for a couple of minutes.
- If you choose to use a rice blend, do check and follow the cooking instructions on your bag.
- This recipe originally contained oil. If you choose to add oil, replace the veggie broth and continue with the instructions. The oil is NOT included in the nutritional information.
- If you would rather sauté the vegetables with oil, omit the vegetable broth from the saute pan and use 1 Tablespoon of oil instead.
- Sometimes I use low-sodium soy sauce instead of balsamic. It lends a very different flavor. Do not add any additional salt to the marinade if you use soy sauce.
- Any kind of smallish round mushroom will do. Use your choice of cremona (baby bella) or button mushrooms.
Calories: 308kcal | Carbohydrates: 65g | Protein: 14g | Fat: 2g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 1118mg | Potassium: 1506mg | Fiber: 8g | Sugar: 17g | Vitamin A: 1672IU | Vitamin C: 72mg | Calcium: 86mg | Iron: 4mg