Chocolate Mint Brownies (Vegan)
These chocolate mint brownies...
- 3/4 cup oat milk or plant milk of choice
- 2 teaspoons white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup oil see notes
- 1½ cups all purpose flour
- 1½ cups granulated (white) sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
MInty Buttercream Layer
- 1/2 cup vegan butter stick I use country crock plant butter
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon mint extract
- 2 Tablespoons plant milk I used oat milk
- 4-5 drops green food coloring to desired color
- 3/4 cup coconut cream see notes
- 3/4 cup chocolate chips vegan
The Wet Ingredients
Add vinegar to plant milk and let sit for about five minutes or until it starts to sour. It will begin to coagulate a little. Add in vanilla and set aside.
If using coconut oil, melt and set aside. If using other oil, measure out and set aside.
The Dry Ingredients
Add flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, salt, and cornstarch to a medium/large sized mixing bowl.
Stir well so that all cocoa powder is broken up. Sift if necessary. I used a fine mesh strainer to sift. (See post above for photos and instructions.)
Add soured milk mixture and oil to dry ingredients all at once. Mix by hand until all dry ingredients have been moistened. Do not overmix.
Turn out into prepared pan and smooth the top.
Set 8x8 pan on a larger baking sheet and put in oven. Bake for 27-32 minutes. My oven cooks this brownie recipe perfectly at 30 minutes.
You will know the brownies are done when they are slightly firm to the touch in the middle. Do not overcook or they will be hard. They are undercooked if they are jiggly in the middle.
Allow to thoroughly cool in pan on rack before frosting.
The Minty Buttercream Frosting
While the brownies are baking and cooling, set the vegan butter on the counter to come to room temperature.
Add the room temperature vegan butter, powdered sugar, mint extract and plant milk to a large mixing bowl. Beat with electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add in the drops of green food coloring and mix to see the color it turns. I use 4-5 drops.
When brownies have totally cooled, frost the tops with the minty buttercream. Allow to set and somewhat harden for about 30 minutes while you are finishing the chocolate ganache.
To get the coconut cream, freeze a can of full-fat coconut milk. You can do this right before you start making the brownies. It will be hardened enough when you are ready to make the ganache.
Open the can and carefully scoop out 3/4 of the hardened coconut cream. You will use almost all of it. Be careful to not use any of the coconut liquid - only the cream.
Measure out the chocolate chips into a small/med sized bowl.
Heat the coconut cream in the microwave for about 1 minute. It should be melted and hot to the touch. If it is not hot enough, continue microwaving for 30 seconds.
Pour melted coconut cream over the chocolate chips and stir until smooth and chocolaty.
Let cool on the counter for about 30 minutes. You can place in the fridge to help if necessary - but check it often. so that it doesn't get too hard. You need to be able to easily pour the ganache.
Pour the cooled (but still liquidy) ganache over the top of the minty buttercream frosted brownies. Put in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes to set and harden.
- Use a light-flavored oil such as canola oil or (refined) melted coconut oil.
- 1/2 cup is one stick of vegan butter. My vegan butter of choice is Country Crock Plant Butter. Use a stick butter only for the mint buttercream - not tub butter.
- To get coconut cream, use a full-fat can of coconut milk (not the lite coconut milk, nor the carton of coconut milk). Refrigerate for a few hours or freeze for 30 minutes. Open the can and remove the solid white cream layer.
Calories: 530kcal | Carbohydrates: 69g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 29g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Sodium: 216mg | Potassium: 153mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 51g | Vitamin A: 31IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 59mg | Iron: 3mg