- Veggie Fun Kitchen
– 16 ounces tofu extra firm – 3 Tablespoons ketchup – 2 Tablespoons tahini paste – 2 Tablespoons low sodium soy sauce – 2 Tablespoons nutritional yeast – 1½ Tablespoons coconut sugar can sub in brown sugar – 1 teaspoon smoked paprika – 1 teaspoon garlic powder – 1 teaspoon onion powder – 1 teaspoons Italian seasonings – 1 teaspoons fennel – 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar – ½ teaspoon salt more to taste – ½ teaspooon ground mustard powder – ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes more to taste – ¼ teaspoon black pepper – ¼ teaspoon cocoa powder unsweetened
1. Preheat oven to 375°, prepare baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat.
2. Press and drain the tofu, pouring off liquid as necessary. This will take about 30 minutes using a tofu press. If pressing between plates with weights, it might take up to one hour.
3. While the oven is preheating and the tofu is pressing/draining, stir together all other ingredients into a medium-sized bowl.
4. When the tofu is pressed and drained, hand crumble into small pieces directly into the mixing bowl with the other ingredients. Toss together and stir to evenly coat.
5. Turn onto a prepared baking sheet. Spread evenly and put it in the preheated oven for a total of 44-50 minutes, checking at intervals. (See next instruction.)
6. After putting the tofu in the oven, set the timer for 20 minutes. Open the oven after the first 20 minutes and turn and stir the tofu, moving the dryer tofu from the outer edges to the center and the moister tofu in the center, out to the edges. Put back into the oven and check again in 20 more minutes. Then at 5 minute increments until it's done.
7. You will know when your tofu is done because it will be nicely browned – but not burned.
8. You can keep these pepperoni pizza tofu crumlbes tightly covered in the fridge for up to a week – but I've never managed to keep them around that long! If they dry out then refresh with a little veggie broth.