- Veggie Fun Kitchen
– 1 lbs mushrooms sliced – 1 medium onion diced – 3 cloves garlic minced – 2 lbs fresh green beans ends snipped – ice – 3 Tablespoons vegan butter – ½ teaspoon black pepper – 1 teaspoon salt – 3 Tablespoons flour – 1 cup vegetable stock – 1 tsp vegan Worcestershire – ½ cup vegan sour cream – 2 cups french fried onions divided
1. Put a medium/large pot of water on to boil. Preheat the oven to 400° and Spritz a large casserole dish with cooking spray.
2. Remove any dirt from the mushrooms. Chop the onions and mushrooms. Set aside together. Mince the garlic and set aside separately. Cut the ends off from the green beans, cut them down to size (about one-half) and set them aside separately from the other vegetables.
3. Blanche the green beans in boiling water for about five minutes. Drain and set aside in ice water. This will allow the green beans to maintain a little crunch in the cooked casserole. See notes on website.
4. While the beans are cooling, saute the mushrooms and onions with the butter, salt, and pepper for five minutes until the onions have begun to soften and the mushrooms have started to shrink. Add the garlic and continue to saute for one more minute.
5. Sprinkle the flour over the sauteed vegetables and stir until the vegetables are lightly coated.
6. Mix in the vegetable stock and Worcestershire sauce. Reduce the heat to low. Cover and cook for another five minutes.
7. Stir in the vegan sour cream and continue to cook, stirring, on medium heat until thickened. Taste and add more salt and pepper if desired (not included in nutritional information.)
8. Add in the blanched and cooled green beans and one cup of the french fried onions. Stir to combine.
9. Turn into a prepared 3-quart casserole dish (or 9×13 pan). Top with remaining one cup of french fried onions. Bake lightly covered for about 20 minutes. The sauce should be bubbly. It will thicken somewhat as it cools.