- Veggie Fun Kitchen
– 7 medium Yukon gold potatoes 8 cups quartered – water for boiling – about one teaspoon or so salt for boiling potatoes For the blender – ½ cup raw cashews soaked and drained – 14 ounces silken tofu divided, see below – 2 Tablespoons white vinegar – 2 Tablespoons lemon juice – 1 teaspoon mustard powder – 1 teaspoon salt – ½ teaspoon maple syrup – ¼ teaspoon black salt see notes – ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
Mix In's – ½ cup celery chopped – ⅓ cup green onions sliced, more to taste – 2 teaspoons sweet pickle relish – 2 teaspoons dill relish – salt and pepper to taste – sweet paprika for garnish – parsley for garnish
1. Start soaking the cashews in very hot water. They will be ready when the potatoes have been cooked. Drain and discard the soaking water.
2. Wash and cut the potatoes into quarters, leaving the skin on. Place in a large pot of cold water.
3. Bring to a boil on high. This will take up to 25 minutes depending on your pot, potatoes, and water temperature. Add the teaspoon salt, cover, and turn down to medium heat. Continue boiling for 10-20 minutes. Check every 5 minutes to see if the potatoes are fork tender. You do NOT want mushy potatoes
4. Once the potatoes are fork-tender, remove from heat and drain. Rinse with cold water (and ice) to stop the cooking and allow to cool for about ten minutes until easily handled. Drain.
1. While the potatoes are cooling you can prepare the tofu mayo sauce.
2. Drain the tofu. You do not need to press silken tofu. Cut off two inches from the end and set aside. THIS WILL NOT GO IN THE BLENDER but will be cut into tiny pieces and added to the completed dish. They will give a little "egg-white" like texture.
3. To a blender, add the rest of the tofu, the soaked and drained cashews, white vinegar, lemon juice, mustard powder, salt, maple syrup, black salt (see below), and cayenne pepper. Blend, starting on low and work up to high for a couple of minutes or until everything is nice and smooth.
1. Slice the green onions. I slice some from the bulbs and some from the green tops. You will need ⅓ to ½ cup, depending on your personal preference. Chop the celery, cut the sliced off portion of silken tofu into tiny pieces. This will emulate chopped egg whites in texture.
2. The potatoes should be cooled enough to handle now. With a paring knife remove the skin and cut them into small bite-sized pieces. Pat dry and place into a med/large bowl.
3. Add the blended tofu cashew mixture to a med/large bowl with the cut and cooked poatoes, along with the tiny diced tofu, sliced green onions, chopped celery, and pickle relishes. Gently fold together.
4. Cover and place in the refrigerator until cooled. This will take a minimum of one hour but the flavors will develop even more with a couple of more hours. Salt and pepper to taste. Sprinkle on a little parsley and sweet paprika for color.
5. This can keep, tightly covered in the refrigerator for about five days. There might be some separation. Just gently stir together before serving.