- Veggie Fun Kitchen
– ½ cup quinoa dry – 1 cup water – 1¼ cup cucumber diced – 5 roma tomatoes diced – 1½ cup bell pepper diced – 1 cup red onion diced – ¼ cup parsley chopped – 10-15 mint leaves chopped – 15 ounces chickpeas drained – 2 cups pickled onions see below – ½ cup pistachio nuts shelled – ½ cup vegan feta – 1 avocado diced – salt and pepper to taste
Vinaigrette Dressing – ¼ cup olive oil – ¼ cup rose balsamic vinegar can substitute white balsamic – 2 cloves garlic minced finely – 1 Tablespoon agave – ½ teaspoon salt – ½ teaspoon pepper
1. Rinse the quinoa before cooking. This is a step you should not skip. (See blog post above.) In a small saucepan, add the rinsed quinoa and water. Cover with a lid and bring to a boil on high.Reduce heat to low and continue cooking for 15 minutes. Remove from heat. Keep the lid on and let stand for 5 minutes till the water has all absorbed. Drain any excess.
2. While the quinoa is cooking, drain the chickpeas, mince the mint leaves, and shell the pistachios (if not already). Dice the tomatoes, red onion, and bell pepper. Measure out the pickled onions and feta cheese. Set the feta aside separately. Save dicing the avocado till just before serving.
3. Place the cooked quinoa in a large salad bowl and allow to cool somewhat.
4. While the quinoa is cooling, make the vinaigrette. Whisk together the rose balsamic, olive oil, minced garlic, agave, salt and pepper.
5. Place all the ingredients except for the feta cheese and diced avocado into the salad bowl along with the cooked quinoa. Toss together with the vinaigrette.
6. Add the vegan feta cheese and diced avocado right before serving.