- Veggie Fun Kitchen
Dry Beans, Pre-Soaking – 16 ounces dried navy beans – 7 cups water will be discarded Vegetables – 1½ cups yellow onions chopped – 1½ cups green bell pepper chopped – 5 cloves garlic chopped Optional Toppings and Add-Ins – cooked vegan bacon or sausage optional – sliced jalapenos
Cooking liquid and seasonings – 2 cups vegetable broth – ⅓ cup maple syrup – ⅓ cup brown sugar packed – 4 Tablespoons tomato paste – 2 Tablespoons vegan worcestershire sauce – 1½ Tablespoons molasses dark – 1 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar – 2 teaspoons liquid smoke – 1 teaspoon salt – ¾ teaspoon mustard powder – ¾ teaspoon smoked paprika
1. Rinse the beans and pick through to make sure there aren't any little rocks. Add to the inner pot. Add in 7 cups of water.
2. Close the lid and the vent. Manually set the timer on high for 5 minutes. It will take 10-15 minutes to come to pressure.
3. After the Instant Pot comes to pressure and counts down for 5 minutes, allow for a natural release. This will take about 35 minutes.
4. After the Instant Pot has released its pressure, open the lid and with something to protect your hands, take out the inner pot and drain the beans. Discard the cooking water.
1. While the beans are "soaking" *(cooking) in the instant pot, you can prepare the other ingredients. Chop the onions, peppers, and garlic. Set aside.
2. Combine all of the other ingredients: vegetable broth, maple syrup, tomato paste, brown sugar, vegan Worcestershire sauce, molasses, apple cider vinegar, liquid smoke, mustard powder, and smoked paprika. Give it a really good stir.
3. After the pre-soaked beans have drained, return them to the pot. Add the chopped onion, peppers, and garlic and the liquid ingredients you already mixed. Give it a good stir.
4. According to the manufacturer's directions, close the lid and the seal. Set the pressure cooker on high for 30 minutes. It will take about 10 minutes to come to pressure.
5. After the baked beans have counted down to zero and have completed cooking, allow for a natural release. This should take up to 33 minutes. Carefully open the lid.
6. Top with any add-ins or toppings you'd like.