- Veggie Fun Kitchen
– 16 ounces dry shapped pasta I used rigatoni – salted water to cover pasta – 14 ounces vegan sausage uncooked – 1 cup chopped onion – 1 Tablespoon oil I used avocado – 2 24 ounce jars pasta sauce 5 cups – 3 Tablespoons nutritional yeast – 1/2 cup vegan cheese shreds – optional vegan cheese shreds to sprinkle on top
1. Spray a 9×13 pan with cooking spray and set aside. Preheat oven to 350°.
2. Following package directions, boil 16 ounces of shaped pasta till al dente.
3. Whiile the water is coming to a boil and the pasta is cooking, you may prepare the vegan meaty pasta sauce.
4. Prepare the onion by chopping/dicing into small pieces. Break up the uncooked vegan sausage or meat of choice. (See notes if your vegan meat is precooked.)
5. Pour the oil in a medium-sized pan. Cook the onion and vegan meat on med/high heat until browned. This will take 9-12 minutes.
6. If you have excess oil in your pan, you should drian most of it or sop it up with a paper towel. Do not rinse your cooked meat.
7. Add in the pasta sauce, nutritional yeast, and vegan cheese. Heat for a few minutes till heated through.
8. After the pasta has finished cooking, drain it well and add the cooked sauce to the pasta. Stir together.
9. Pour the pasta with sauce into prepared pan.
10. If you choose to add the optional shredded vegan cheese on top, sprinkle up to 1/2 cup. Remember, this is vegan cheese and probably won't get nice and melty.
11. Cover with foil and bake in a 350° oven for 30 minutes. It will be nice and bubbly and the pasta will have absorbed that yummy sauce. But don't be sad if your vegan cheese doesn't melt. It will get hot and "melty" but keep it's shape.