- Veggie Fun Kitchen
Sausage Mixture – 1 small onion chopped – 8 ounces mushrooms washed and chopped – 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil – 14 ounces vegan breakfast sausage Egg Mixture – 1 medium red bell pepper diced – 2 12 ounce bottles JUST Egg – ½ cup vegan cheese shreds – 2 Tablespoons nutritional yeast – 2 Tablespoons corn starch – 2 Tablespoons chives – ¼ teaspoon black salt see notes Finishing – 72 tater tots see notes – salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat the oven to 350° – Cover the bottom and sides of a 9×13 casserole dish with cooking spray.
1. Start by chopping the onions and mushroooms.
2. Swirl a little vegetagle oil in a saute pan and get it hot. Add the onions and mushrooms to get them started . Suate for about three minutes or unil they be begin to soften and wilt.
3. While the mushrooms and onions are getting started, you can cut/chop up the vegan sausage. It will be easier to brown in the pan if it is already in small pieces.
4. Add the cut vegan sausage to the pan and continue stir and cook until the sausage has browned – about 5-7 minutes. I contine to cut and break up the sausage into smaller peices as I am stirring.
5. Once the sausage has fully cooked and is nice and crispy and brown, spoon it evenly into the prepared 9×13 casserole dish. Set aside.
1. Dice the red bell pepper and add to a medium-sized mixing bowl. There is no need to pre-cook the bell pepper.
2. To the mixing bowl, add the two containers of JUST Egg, vegan cheese shreds, nutritional yeast, corn starch, chives, and black salt.
3. Mix and whisk the ingredients well so that there are no lumps or cornstarch.
4. Pour the egg mixuture over the top of the cooked sausage mixture.
1. Place the tater tots on top of the egg mixture in the casserole dish. I press down slightly so that they are almost half-way submerges. I find that 72 tater tots in the perfect number of tots to cover the top.
2. Cook uncovered in a 375° for about 45 minutes or until the tops of the tater tots are golden brown and the egg mixture has mostly solidified. If might look a little soft and slightly jiggly when you first take it out of the oven , but it should not be runny.
3. Allow to sit and cool for about 7-10 minutes before cutting.
4. Garnish with more chives and add a lttle salt and pepper to taste. This tater tot casserole dish is super delicous with a little creamy sriracha suace on top. (See Notes by Visiting Veggie Fun Kitchen.)