This Chili Cheese Sauce is vegan! It’s dairy free, oil free, and gluten-free.
Who doesn’t love a good chili cheese sauce? This recipe is for the stove top version of my Vegan Chili Cheese Sauce (Instant Pot). I honestly prefer the cheese sauce prepared in a pressure cooker over the stove top. They take close to the same amount of time from start to finish, but the flavor and texture in the instant pot is just a little different – even using the same ingredients. No matter! Not everyone has jumped onboard the pressure cooker craze! It’s still creamy cheesy plant-based deliciousness prepared on the stove top!
If you look at the ingredients, there is only goodness – vegetables, raw cashews…and some other “vegan” stuff.
The directions call for “rough-cutting” your vegetables. This is because it’s not necessary to cut them smaller as they will be cooked and blended. Just make sure they are somewhat uniform. I wash but don’t peel my carrot or potatoes. Again, it isn’t necessary.
Put all the vegetables and cashews into a boiling pot of water, using enough water to cover. After about 15 minutes, when the potatoes and carrots are tender, it’s done and you can drain the water. You just make sure to reserve 1 cup of water to add to the blender. Transfer all vegetables to the blender along with 1 cup of water and the other ingredients except for the chili beans and optional items. You’ll add those later to your personal taste.
Blend until smooth. Pour into a bowl and add chili beans with sauce, and hot sauce to taste.
I have a secret ingredient that really bumps the cheesy flavor up a notch. If you can get your hands on it, go ahead an add a tablespoon. This is Deliciou Nacho Cheese flavoring. It is vegan and can be ordered through this link. If you can’t get ahold of it, your cheese sauce will still be fabulous!
To go all out plant-based, my favorite way to serve this Vegan Chili Cheese Sauce is with a scrumptious plate of vegetables!
This Vegan Chili Cheese Sauce is as good as it looks! Enjoy!
Pin now to save for later!
Vegan Chili Cheese Sauce (Stove Top)
- 1 clove garlic no need to chop
- 1/2 orange bell pepper deseeded and roughly chopped
- 1/2 yellow onion roughly chopped
- 1 carrot, large roughly chopped, no need to peel
- 2 Yukon Gold potatoes, medium roughly chopped, no need to peel
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 Tablespoon white miso
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 Tablespoon Mexican/taco seasoning
- 1 15.5 ounce can black chili beans in sauce undrained
- 1 Tablespoon hot sauce (I use Frank's) optional, to taste
- 1 4 ounce can green chilis optional
- 1 Tablespoon Deliciou Nacho Cheese Seasoning optional, to taste
- Wash and rough- cut your vegetables - no need to peel the carrot or potatoes.
- Add along with the garlic and raw cashews to a boiling pot of salted water. Boil for about 15 minutes, until vegetables are tender. Drain reserving 1 cup of water from the pot.
- Add to a high speed blender along with all other ingredients except for the chili beans in sauce, hot sauce, and other optional items. Blend until smooth. Only if necessary, add some unsweetened plant milk - one Tablespoon at a time. You shouldn't need more than one or two Tablespoons.
- Pour into a large serving bowl. Add chili beans in sauce, hot sauce and other optional items to taste.