Pasta with Pumpkin Sage Sauce – flavorful, creamy, and great for all seasons. Made with solid pumpkin pack, coconut milk, white wine, sage, black lentils, and walnuts. This pumpkin pasta is creamy and delicious and sure to please!
To make this creamy pasta with pumpkin sage sauce you will need:
- A long flat pasta like linguini or fettucini
- canned solid pumpkin pack
- canned diced tomatoes
- dry white wine
- lite coconut milk
- vegetable broth
- tahini paste
- black lentils
- chopped walnuts
- minced garlic, red bell pepper, shallots (or red onion), fresh sage, cayenne pepper, chives, salt and pepper to taste
- lite tasing oil like avocado oil
Pin it now to save for later:
It’s the middle of summer and I’m missing fall! I love everything about fall – the cool crisp air, the colors, the scents, the flavors. Did you realize that you could still appreciate the flavors any time of the year? That’s right!
Did I mention it’s the middle of summer? And I’m craving the flavor of pumpkin. Luckily for me, canned pumpkin is available any time of year at my local grocery store! This pumpkin pasta is actually perfect as a summer dish. You can serve warm, but it’s still really good cold.
Pro Tips and Suggestions for Making a Creamy Delicious Pasta with Pumpkin Sage Sauce
- White Wine –
- Make it a dry crisp white wine such as a pinot grigio or sauvignon blanc. This article by Kitchn has some great suggestions.
- Make it an awesome wine – one that you would drink. If you use a crap wine, it will affect the flavor of your sauce. AND you will only be using 1 cup so you will have extra to drink with your meal. So again, use a good one!
- If you don’t want to use wine, use vegetable broth along with 1 Tablespoon lemon juice. The flavor will be similar.
- Black Lentils (also called Beluga Lentils)
- I use black lentils because I like the texture better than brown or green lentils. They are firmer and almost nutty.
- Black lentils can be tricky to find. I source mine on (affiliate link) Amazon.<
- If you want to sub in brown lentils, try to find the steamed lentils (can find at Trader Joes and in some grocery stores in the produce department.) Black lentils are really nice though and you should get yourself familiar with them.
- Oil – Use a flavorless oil like avocado oil. If you want to make this recipe oil-free then use vegetable broth to saute the vegetables. The flavor will not be affected but the texture or “mouth-feel” will not be the same.
- Use a large enough saute pan that everything will easily fit. If you saute pan is not extra-large, then transfer to a large bowl and gently toss everything together.
- Shallots – you can sub in red onion. I personally like the flavor of a shallot better for this recipe.
Time it Right!
- Start with the lentils – they will take the most cooking time.
- Put the water for the pasta on to boil.
- Chop your vegetables and begin to saute.
You’ll have three pots going at once, but time it right and your sauce will be ready about the same time that the pasta and lentils will!
- Again, you can’t go wrong with serving this along with a crusty loaf of bread and a glass of white wine. You’ll have enough left over for a generous glass so again, choose the wine you use in the recipe wisely.
- Top with chopped chives (dry is fine) and an extra sprinkling of chopped walnuts if desired.
- This dish works great for meal prep. It makes six meal prep servings and will keep in the refrigerator for up to five days.
Things I used in the Recipe for Pasta With Pumpkin WalnutSage Sauce (Affiliate Links)
The Recipe for Pasta with Pumpkin Walnut Sage Sauce
I hope you enjoy this pumpkin pasta as much as my family did. Please let me know in the comments below. And thanks for being a part of Veggie Fun Kitchen!
Pasta with Pumpkin Walnut Sage Sauce
- large saute pan
- 1/2 cup black lentils dry (1 cup cooked)
- 12 ounces pasta dry (linguine or fettuccine)
- 2 Tablespoons avocado oil
- 2 medium shallots diced (1 ¼ cup)
- 1 Tablespoon garlic minced
- 1 large red bell pepper sliced in thin strips
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 bunch fresh sage chopped (1/4 cup)
- ¼-½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme dried
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 15 ounce fire roasted diced tomatoes undrained
- 15 ounce pumpkin solid pack
- 13.5 ounces lite coconut milk
- 1 Tablespoon tahini paste
- 3/4 cup walnuts chopped
- 2 Tablespoons dried chives chopped
- Prepare lentils and pasta to package directions. Set aside.
- Chop vegetables and set aside.
- Line the bottom of a large saute pan with avocado oil. Add in shallots, red bell pepper, and garlic. Saute for about 5 minutes or until tender and shallot is translucent and just starting to brown.
- Add in white wine, chopped sage, canned diced fire roasted tomatoes, and cayenne pepper, salt, and thyme. Continue stirring and heating for about 1 minute.
- Stir in canned pumpkin and lite coconut milk. Stir until heated through.
- Fold in cooked pasta, lentils, and chopped walnuts and chives.
- Top with additional chives and walnuts if desired.